Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like the 'wrecking fans' won out over the 'racing fans'

They're doing away with the progressive banking at Bristol.

Bristol Motor Speedway will remove progressive banking: Less than a month after fan feedback convinced him to make changes to the concrete surface at Bristol Motor Speedway, Bruton Smith, Chairman and CEO of Speedway Motorsports, announced his plans for significant modifications to the track. "I said when this process began last month that I would listen to what the fans said they wanted," Smith said. "After a week to 10 days, there was no question that the overwhelming majority was asking for alterations to the track. Since March 28, when we announced that changes would be made, we have listened to fans, heard from drivers and talked to engineers about what to do and how much time we had to do it. Once we knew the direction, we located the right equipment to make it happen." The changes concentrate on the progressive banking applied when the current track surface was put in place in the summer of 2007. "The majority of fans we heard from said they wanted adjustments made and the bulk of those said the progressive banking was what they didn't like," said Smith in explaining the decision-making process. "So, that's the focus of our efforts. And that is what we are working to change." When the deteriorating BMS track surface was replaced in 2007, variable banking was added. Often referred to as "progressive" because the degrees increase from bottom to top, the layout provided multiple lanes of racing on the famed short track. Smith said the choice to change the track surface did not come easy, but listening to the race fans always has served him well. "More and more fans kept asking us to do something to the track," Smith said. "So I put it out there. They spoke and we listened. I want them to be happy; I want them to love their experience in Bristol. This will accomplish that and I know they will be pleased with the result."
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    they are not all wrecking fans, I preferred the old style much more than the current, and I'm a racing fan. the old Bristol was different, but Bruton Smith decided to turn it it a cookie cutter design and killed the racing. there were only a few "Drivers" tracks and Bristol was one of them.

Martinsville or Sonoma is more of a demolition derby than Bristol was and I dont see you complaining about those 2 tracks.

this years race at Bristol sealed the deal when 1/3rd of the seats were full, the fans have had enough, Nascar really should open the specs back up, come up with new gear ratio rules, etc... Nascar needs to take that "spec" out of the series cause honestly, without decals, you could never tell whos driving a Ford, Chevy, or Toyota
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Give it a rest Lee Roy, just because people like the old Bristol doesn't make them wrecking fans.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    they are not all wrecking fans, I preferred the old style much more than the current, and I'm a racing fan. the old Bristol was different, but Bruton Smith decided to turn it it a cookie cutter design and killed the racing. there were only a few "Drivers" tracks and Bristol was one of them.
    Stop calling it a "cookie cutter design!" "Cookie cutter" means everything has the same shape. Did he make Bristol a mile longer and add a tri-oval? No, so STFU.

Attendence is down because there are 4 other tracks in the Mid-west and people are tired of paying $100 per seat to sit below row 50.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Stop calling it a "cookie cutter design!" "Cookie cutter" means everything has the same shape. Did he make Bristol a mile longer and add a tri-oval? No, so STFU.

Attendence is down because there are 4 other tracks in the Mid-west and people are tired of paying $100 per seat to sit below row 50.
    Wow a bit harse on Harv...

Attendence is down because people are sick of boring racing.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm thinking Bruton Smith has listened to his pocketbook rather than fans and drivers in this situation. I don't know if changing the track will fix the racing to the satisfaction of fans and drivers. I'm really not sure it will bring more fans to the Bristol races. Exhorbitant lodging rates, ticket prices and $4.00 a gallon gas might make more of an impact than track configuration.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Amen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1329
    I'm thinking Bruton Smith has listened to his pocketbook rather than fans and drivers in this situation. I don't know if changing the track will fix the racing to the satisfaction of fans and drivers. I'm really not sure it will bring more fans to the Bristol races. Exhorbitant lodging rates, ticket prices and $4.00 a gallon gas might make more of an impact than track configuration.
    no, because even with the repave, Bristol still wont be the same, the damage was done, it will take 10-20 years for the track to weather in again and actually have a good racing surface again
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    no, because even with the repave, Bristol still wont be the same, the damage was done, it will take 10-20 years for the track to weather in again and actually have a good racing surface again

I'll bet you get the 15-20 caution flags per race that you want right away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no, I liked Bristol because it was different, much like Darlington, Rockingham, Martinsville, Richmond. Bristol is more aggressive driving that you normally never get, there have been alot of fantastic racing and finishes the old style had. also mostly all the Bristol races did have 125-200 laps of green flag racing.

the problem is alot of drivers are now too PC, afraid to be booed, afraid not to say anything stupid to piss off their sponsors