Thread: Camera Angles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Camera Angles

Just watched the F1 and IndyCar races on Sunday.

The coverage from Long Beach made me feel a little dizzy, what with the zooming and panning of the cameras. After watching F1, I didn't that feeling. Also, the cameras seemed to bw zoomed in too much on a car, so that I couldn't actually see what was happening.

I love IndyCar, but it feels like something needs to improve with the camera angles / footage thats shot.

Does anyone else think this, or is it just me?
    "You can't drink a pint of Bovril!" :beer:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    F1 needs more zooming and panning!
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    This is usually even worse on the ovals. I tried watching qualification once. The camera was zoomed so much that the car spanned the entire LCD screen most of the time. This does not convey the feeling of speed, track, etc, as if IndyCar qualis are not boring enough already. Why do they do this? Perhaps to please the sponsors?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the cameras although I have to admit I have never been a fan of the roll bar camera being shown when it's panning. The motion of the camera may be confused with what is actually happening with the car. Mirror cam is nice as is the rear wing cam. I'd like to see a camera focused forward from just behind the side of the drivers helmet as they used in years past -- personal favourite. I think the audio is superior.

"Yes, by all means, could you please obscure the top fifth of the camera shot! Thank you in advance."

Annoyance -- the score crawl seems to getting fatter now that NBC has gotten it's greasy meat hooks on it and the video above the crawl almost blacked out. This is a major pet peeve of mine and and it makes the roll-hoop camera shots look especially sorry when it's running. Scoring graphics is one thing that F1 and British race coverage, in general, does well.
    Who, What, When, Where, Why -- http://champcarstats.com/