Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Lightbulb Please BMW, something different this time!! (an open letter)

I think we all here have watched the developments of Mini in the WRC with a huge amount of frustration. They clearly have a competitive car, and Prodrive have very competent drivers. They could be a real force in the WRC, yet choose not to be.

It's time to try a bit of rallyforum affirmative action, methinks. Let's compose a letter to the top motorsports people at BMW, and once the letter is complete I'll send an e-mail to them drawing their attention to it. Here's the first draft:

------------------

Dear Mr. .....

We the rally fans at Motorsportforums.com were very excited to see Mini enter the circle of WRC manufacturers. We now, however, watch its progress with dismay and frustration.

It is clear to anyone who follows rallying that Prodrive have made a very competitive car for the WRC, and it has very competent drivers in Dani Sordo and Kris Meeke. Yet, due to budgetary constraints, they are only able to take part in few select rounds of the WRC. This, it seems, is because BMW is unwilling to commit fully to Mini's WRC programme, which we think is a huge mistake on your part.

Why? Because you have got all the ingredients to achieve great success in rallying, and possibly make the Mini a WRC legend. We strongly urge you to commit fully to Mini's WRC programme, and if you do so, you will earn the respect and gratitude of rally fans around the world.

Yours truly,
    Members of the Rally Forum at Motorsportforums.com

-----------------------

Please feel free to comment and add to this.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I whole heartedly agree but if I were a CEO of BMW I would read the letter and promptly put it in the 'maybe ill look at that later' pile.

We should make mention of how further financial investment will be beneficial to BMW as a brand.
    Things like market advertising figures of Motorsport vs non-Motorsport based advertising, why the Mini would appeal to the average rally fan through its history and pedigree, and examples of brand name loyalty (Im personally thinking of Subaru here, It would take a lot for me to buy any other branded car mainly through what they achieved in rallying).

Quote Originally Posted by grugsticles
    I whole heartedly agree but if I were a CEO of BMW I would read the letter and promptly put it in the 'maybe ill look at that later' pile.

We should make mention of how further financial investment will be beneficial to BMW as a brand.
    Things like market advertising figures of Motorsport vs non-Motorsport based advertising, why the Mini would appeal to the average rally fan through its history and pedigree, and examples of brand name loyalty (Im personally thinking of Subaru here, It would take a lot for me to buy any other branded car mainly through what they achieved in rallying).
    Thanks for the addition!

I thought we could send it to people who are in charge of BMW Motorsport. I've got a few e-mail addresses, they are in the public domain. It's unlikely to make a difference, I agree, but you never know! If enough of us voice our opinion on this, it might make top people at BMW to take notice.

So come on, guys. Let's hear your voice!

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    And would be good also explain that the WRC don't have a promoter, but probably would have one iu the future.

To talk about the ROI and not mention a thing like that, would be disasterous
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    While your sentiments are noble and well meaning, you’re wasting your time.BMW aren’t interested in the WRC, it’s a minority world Motorsport, and they’re not going to invest their money in it. What would they get out of it?
    They have supposed bigger fish to fry with the DTM were they will take on the might of their Premium rivals, Mercedes & Audi. The WRC doesn’t offer this.Sorry to rain on your parade. Your enthusiasm does you credit.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    And would be good also explain that the WRC don't have a promoter, but probably would have one iu the future.

To talk about the ROI and not mention a thing like that, would be disasterous

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    While your sentiments are noble and well meaning, you’re wasting your time.BMW aren’t interested in the WRC, it’s a minority world Motorsport, and they’re not going to invest their money in it. What would they get out of it?
    They have supposed bigger fish to fry with the DTM were they will take on the might of their Premium rivals, Mercedes & Audi. The WRC doesn’t offer this.Sorry to rain on your parade. Your enthusiasm does you credit.
    No problem at all. I don't mind wasting a little time on this.

The thing is, we don't know what discussions are really held inside BMW regarding the WRC. Our little letter might give someone a tiny wee bit of a pro-argument. It's unlikely, I admit, but you never know.

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiruwiru
    Wiruwiru, i was being ironic, and i explain why.

If you go to a manufacturer to present the WRC, you have a big problem: No promotion. Here ends every eventually little interest in a commercial point of view. In 2011 ther was a promoter, but the media coverage was the same as in 2012 without any promoter. This explains a lot of things.

And a manufacturer choice is basicly commercial.

And let's have hope that the german uninterest by the WRC stops at Mini.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It would also be cool if we could do something about getting some attention of potential sponsors for Prodrive; maybe then they could do something about the rest of the season in a proper way.

On DTM; BMW has ****ed up its motorsports programs before; the M3 could be a **** box for all we know and worse managed than the F1 program. The Mini program could end up looking good by comparison.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9
    It would also be cool if we could do something about getting some attention of potential sponsors for Prodrive; maybe then they could do something about the rest of the season in a proper way.

On DTM; BMW has ****ed up its motorsports programs before; the M3 could be a **** box for all we know and worse managed than the F1 program. The Mini program could end up looking good by comparison.

And there is the money thing, considering how little they were intending spending on the programme compared to DTM they were getting quite a lot of coverage for their money. Also, they can say that Mini is a rally car, that should be worth it on its own!
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up: