Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by userwave
    cool, antoine l'estage #1
    I noticed Leo Urlichich's car in there as well. There are plenty of struggles from Canada as well as the US when it comes to getting onto the international stage, Patrick Richard being the one I've heard of the most, though I'm sure there are others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    I noticed Leo Urlichich's car in there as well. There are plenty of struggles from Canada as well as the US when it comes to getting onto the international stage, Patrick Richard being the one I've heard of the most, though I'm sure there are others.
    Yup. I've been a huge fan of Canadian rallying as well since I drove my first Canadian event in 2004 (Tall Pines)

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I read all the info about the project in this thread, on Kickstarter and on your own site.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from all the info you've posted you seem to lack story/focus.

Before I go on, I'd just add that I released one docu about two young guns last summer, so I know the difficulties of the process (and think that I was mental to think that I can make a rally documentary).

I'll go on with the story/focus point. If you are missing a focus, then it will be hard to even make an interesting 42 minute documentary. Cinematography helps you only until a certain point but the story is the big star.

About the possible stories. You just have to look at the rally results and talk with people who know the rallying scene. And then you have to hope something happens on the event you go to film, because every story needs drama and humor. And about the interviews on the rally. Go for the stage end comments. By the time the crews get to service park they've had too much time to think what happened. The fresher the emotion, the better for the story and viewers.

All this is really basic, but what I learned was that I didn't work enough on the story before filming and making a rally documentary is the hardest thing to make.

All the best with the project and I hope to see it on the web some day.

PS. I hope that you've cleared the video rights with FIA or whoever is controlling the audiovisual media rights on the WRC. In 2010 I got a deal for Rallye Deutschland with North One Sport to show five minutes of non-racing content in the documentary, that was free of charge. For racing content I should had bought their footage.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky
    I'll go on with the story/focus point. If you are missing a focus, then it will be hard to even make an interesting 42 minute documentary. Cinematography helps you only until a certain point but the story is the big star.
    Franky,

Thanks for your feedback. Story is obviously the most important piece of the puzzle, and one that I have felt I have a huge focus on. Perhaps that did not come across in the very early production teaser.

I have made a blog post with regards to the story here:
    Easier Said Than Done by Matt Johnston » What's The Story?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's a few behind the scenes shots, and a quick update:

Easier Said Than Done by Matt Johnston » 1 Week Left - Here is some production stills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymatt
    Here's a few behind the scenes shots, and a quick update:

Easier Said Than Done by Matt Johnston » 1 Week Left - Here is some production stills
    Last Chance Teaser

Easier Said Than Done by Matt Johnston » Last Chance Teaser

Some super slow motions in there for you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If possible try to get the stories from drivers who did not quite make it in WRC. It would be interesting to hear their highs and lows. This could be difficult as many are in Europe.

Also, it would be cool to hear more from Ken Block as he is possibly the biggest rally star outside of the European set trying to make his way in the WRC for whatever reasons he has.

Very good from what I have seen thus far. Are you going to release this to cinemas worldwide? I would love to watch it in NZ!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Easier Said Than Done - A Rally Documentary

Hey Guys,

If your interested, my film on rallying - Easier Said Than Done is available. We released it October 2 and did two premiere screenings at the Jalopnik Film Festival alongside Senna and Rush, and then a premiere and party in my hometown Grand Rapids. So far people have seemed to really like it, and although it is heavily U.S based, we've sold a ton of copies to the U.K and Australia amongst others. Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRioPhVIRE

The film is available here for download, stream or DVD.

http://easiersaidthandonefilm.com/watch-the-film/

and here:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/estd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Easier Said Than Done - A Rally Documentary

It's got a great segment with our very own Janvanvurpa in it, which I am totally surprised no one has posted a teaser of yet.

John, answer your emails!

Matt, nice job. My boss knows less than nothing about rally (kept asking "wouldn't that be fun?!" Yes boss man that's why I do it) but he thought it was very good and didn't care I was playing the vid at work.
    2009 Colorado Rally Cup Champion & 2009 CHCA Rookie Of the Year

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend
    Out of interest, how much have the FIA charged you for the rights for this?
    not sure the FIA can say it 'owns' rally. It is the governing body of motorsport but for only FIA affiliated motor sport. anybody can run a car rally.