Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: English

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The things I love are the translations that are correct but just not quite right. Yesterday I was out for a run along the beach, and there was a bar (chiringuito) which had "Coctel de la semana" (Cocktail of the week) translated as "Weekly Cocktail". "Barman, could I have another?" "Sorry sir, that's your ration for the week..."

And a few years ago a Chinese student saw me one morning and said "Ah, you got your haircut cut! Very nice!" It's logical, makes sense but....

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    The things I love are the translations that are correct but just not quite right. Yesterday I was out for a run along the beach, and there was a bar (chiringuito) which had "Coctel de la semana" (Cocktail of the week) translated as "Weekly Cocktail". "Barman, could I have another?" "Sorry sir, that's your ration for the week..."

And a few years ago a Chinese student saw me one morning and said "Ah, you got your haircut cut! Very nice!" It's logical, makes sense but....
    A few years ago I visited Libya. The slogan of the hotel in which I stayed was 'Feel yourself in your home'.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

China is famous for this (google "chinglish").

I remember years ago purchasing the dvd film "A Bridge Too Far" at one of the markets in Shanghai. It's not so much the movie that I wanted (I'd seen it dozens of times), but the packaging, which looked thoroughly authentic except for the title which read "A Bride Too Far".
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    "I bid you welcome from the heart of my bottom"

"You think I know damn nothing - in fact I know damn all"
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Anyone who’s been to China know that the locals, when working with foreigners, like to give themselves “western” names. Most are chosen because they simply like the sound, but some, often chosen by girls, are downright baffling.
    Some of the more interesting ones I’ve come across:
    Petal
    Blue Mary
    Scallion
    Virgin (I had to confirm that she didn’t mean Virginia )

When working in Shanghai a few years ago, my company’s foreign assignment conditions allowed for a car and driver. My assigned driver had chosen “Handsome” as his western name .
    He’d ring me, with his number displayed on my mobile, and I’d answer “Hello Handsome” much to the amusement of those around me
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 576 Times in 209 Posts
    I wish I had the enthusiasm to keep going and learn more of a language, I know various bits and pieces and a few words here and there, but never quite get around to doing more than that It is made far easier by others use of great English which luckily I know quite a bit of.

So I blame everyone else
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Anyone who’s been to China know that the locals, when working with foreigners, like to give themselves “western” names. Most are chosen because they simply like the sound, but some, often chosen by girls, are downright baffling.
    Some of the more interesting ones I’ve come across:
    Petal
    Blue Mary
    Scallion
    Virgin (I had to confirm that she didn’t mean Virginia )

When working in Shanghai a few years ago, my company’s foreign assignment conditions allowed for a car and driver. My assigned driver had chosen “Handsome” as his western name .
    He’d ring me, with his number displayed on my mobile, and I’d answer “Hello Handsome” much to the amusement of those around me
    The names are usually just assigned by their teachers when they begin English lessons in school.....my mother-in-law was a elementary school teacher, and I was a guest at her retirement and asked to drop in to an English class. Amazing enthusiasm and eagerness....My wife "Chris", her sister "Sylvia and brother "Joseph" have so many friends with interesting names including a female friend also named "Handsome". Of course names are given out also, I'm Zhang Wei Han there..

Names are extremely nuanced and layer in China and you're routinely goping to have a number of names and titles depending on the relationship with the speaker....brothers and sisters have their own names between them, and different than colleagues or parents...and then there are numbers... Auntie 3 and Auntie 4 have visited here for extended times and that's their "name" Sei yi...
    Who can forget the beautiful Rosamond Kwan in Jet Li's "Once Upon a Time in China" as "Auntie 13"... I've had a great cup of tea at a tea room called "Auntie 13's Tea room".
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    While I may sometimes act as the unwanted grammar police on here, one thing that never ceases to impress me is the standard of English displayed by some non-native speakers of the language. I mean, the likes of studi... sorry, wiruwiru, jens and Eki demonstrate virtually perfect idiomatic English, and ioan, gadjo_dilo and many others aren't far behind — often, ahead of those who actually speak and write in English as their mother tongue. So, how did those of you with these skills come to pick them up? While I studied German at university and lived in Germany until last week, my command of that language is dreadful in comparison.
    Thank you, sir! Only just now happened to read this thread and it felt tempting to reply!

I remember at school it wasn't coming that easily to me - and I was sort of a slow learner in foreign languages. But like wiruwiru, I was also studying in a specialized English class. I guess in the end it was helpful in this respect!

Generally I like to put a fair amount of emphasis in ortography and grammar while writing, regardless of language. It is even a bit of a habit or lifestyle. I guess these are differences in personalities as on the other hand I can easily be stunned at just how good people can be in some other areas, which I am completely unable to match.

To take a bit of a wider view on the issue, I also think the factor of being a "small nation" plays a role. In order to communicate with the outside world, Estonians absolutely have to learn foreign languages. Even if they may not have a brilliant command or grammar of English, I guess if you ever visited Estonia, you would be understood by people.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    I though my cover was blown the other day when I was told my English was better than that of our UK staff...
    Well chuffed I was, until I ordered a Big Mac meal and didn't understand a word of what the nice Birmingham lass said
    United in diversity !!!