Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: English

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

English

While I may sometimes act as the unwanted grammar police on here, one thing that never ceases to impress me is the standard of English displayed by some non-native speakers of the language. I mean, the likes of studi... sorry, wiruwiru, jens and Eki demonstrate virtually perfect idiomatic English, and ioan, gadjo_dilo and many others aren't far behind — often, ahead of those who actually speak and write in English as their mother tongue. So, how did those of you with these skills come to pick them up? While I studied German at university and lived in Germany until last week, my command of that language is dreadful in comparison.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Wots ur point BDunnell?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Thanks for the compliment! I studied in an English-specialized high school called Tallinn English College. We had many English lessons, as well as English Literature, American Literature, and some other subjects in English. After that I went to uni in Helsinki where I also studied mostly in English; there was a special program for foreigners. Added to that, I've watched a lot of British comedy shows, which are excellent for picking up how the language is actually spoken: used and misused.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, I guess the biggest help has been that in Finland (I guess it's the same in Estonia) the English language TV programs and movies (and they are plenty) aren't dubbed into a local language, like in many bigger countries. I found it very amusing watching American sitcoms dubbed in Polish in a hotel room in Poland. Or watching Dallas dubbed in Spanish in a motel room in California. I think I have picked up most of the colloquial English I know from TV and radio.

For the more serious stuff, most of the literature in my line of engineering is in English, so being able to read and produce it, knowing the lingo is a must.

Then there's of course the Internet.

Schooling has also played a role, but it has mostly provided just the basics.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Just curious, how easy is it for an Estonian to pick up the Finnish language, and vice vesra?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Just curious, how easy is it for an Estonian to pick up the Finnish language, and vice vesra?
    Easier than any other language, that's for sure. There are so many common words, and the structures of the two languages are very similar.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    What I like about this forum is that folks here are very forgiving with written english. One doesn't have to be a champion with english to be understood

btw... studiose, why wiruwiru?
    Another Flying Finn

Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    btw... studiose, why wiruwiru?
    It was time for the old user name to go, as I'm no longer a student. "wiruwiru" just came to mind as a funny noise. :

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    didn't you know? wiruwiru is English slang for "big fat stupid donkey-nose"
    United in diversity !!!

Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    didn't you know? wiruwiru is English slang for "big fat stupid donkey-nose"
    That's alright then! :