Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Targa Newfoundland 2011

Check out the MotoMan Targa Newfoundland 2011 documentary.. Viewed through the eyes of Team SRT!

Intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRi27...h_e_se&list=SL

Part 1/4:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZgMkS3fvXc&feature=sh_e_top&list=SL

The remaining episode of this 4 part series to be released in the near future!

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    I've tried figuring out how to drive there (which as far as I can tell requires a ferry trip) and it looks difficult and rather expensive.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    I've tried figuring out how to drive there (which as far as I can tell requires a ferry trip) and it looks difficult and rather expensive.
    I've know a couple of guys that have done Newfie-land, both Canajians from Ontario, one an Xratty guy, the other Martin Walter in his stage rally 240 Nissan (with JVAB Soooper Bitchin suspenders)

Ian the Xratty man "I could have done a full 2 seasons Ontario regional (stage rally) events for what it cost me".

Martin who did good last year by the way. Said "I'm still paying for last year " 10 months later"

"Targa Newfoundland has the targa class and the touring class. My understanding is the touring is very much a tsd. (yawn)

Targa class, on the other hand, is 'at speed' but not an all out 'fastest wins' like in stage rally but each class is given a target time to beat and you 'zero' the leg as long as you beat it. The times set are aggressive but one of the characteristics of a targa event is that the times get tougher to beat as the week goes on. "

Could be fun, but is expressly set up to be expensive--keeps the riff raff out...Well most of it...can't have gravel spec rwd cars embarrassing all the rich guys in the rich-boy cars, they won't come back.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    You drive to North Sydney, Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Island) from where you have a choice of two ferries:
    One is a ~3 hour crossing to Port Aux Basques in western Newfoundland from where you’ll have an 8 hour drive across the island to St. John’s, the area around where most of the rallies are staged.
    The other is an ~8 hour ferry crossing to Argentia, then a ~2 hour drive to St. John’s.
    Either way, you’re looking at a 10 to 11 hour route from North Sydney.

I’ve done both routes and your preference will depend upon how much you like being on a boat vs. driving : I’ve done the 8 hour crossing to Argentia in April when the ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence was breaking up. Not fun The ferry has been known to be stranded for hours at a time during the winter months awaiting assistance from a coast guard ice breaker .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've tried figuring out how to drive there
    You lost Newfoundland again?
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    If I went I would register as a volunteer since it's a good way to see how the event operates. Just getting to St. Johns by car would be a reward in itself, kind of like the original Monte Carlo. I followed it a bit more closely ten years ago when I had the time and space to try and make an old BMW Bavaria roadworthy and was on a mailing list that included Bill Arnold, who won a few Targas at the time and would be one of those guys Jan would like, though I don't think his hybrid Bavaria/5 series was technically gravel spec.