Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deltawing

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Best Lap for an LMP2 from the 2011 race (which is roughly where the project was aiming), is a 3:42, so they are very much in the ball park, which is encouraging for the guys making these claims earlier in the project

24 Heures du Mans 2011 − Results
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    If an LMP2 is turning 42's and the Delta is giving up 4 or 5 seconds, it isn't really that much in the ball park because lets face it, Le Mans is mainly about speed, acceleration, and the fast curves leading to the pit straight. I think the D wing is however in the ball park in the sense that it isn't THAT far off that the claims of Bowlby don't hold some merit. I think just a tad more power will get it there. I would love to see it run at a place like my home turf up the road at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park now is the official name) or a place where there isn't so much acceleration as fast curves. Le Mans is almost the worst track for this relatively low power design....

That said....it works. Most didn't even think it would corner. To go that fast at LeMans says to me it drives far better than its detractors would have liked.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    It fits the criteria of 'Garage 56' - the ACO are happy with it, and importantly Audi genius Ulrich Baretzky is pro DW.....That's good enough for me.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    If an LMP2 is turning 42's and the Delta is giving up 4 or 5 seconds, it isn't really that much in the ball park because lets face it, Le Mans is mainly about speed, acceleration, and the fast curves leading to the pit straight. I think the D wing is however in the ball park in the sense that it isn't THAT far off that the claims of Bowlby don't hold some merit. I think just a tad more power will get it there. I would love to see it run at a place like my home turf up the road at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park now is the official name) or a place where there isn't so much acceleration as fast curves. Le Mans is almost the worst track for this relatively low power design....

That said....it works. Most didn't even think it would corner. To go that fast at LeMans says to me it drives far better than its detractors would have liked.
    In its 1st appearance at Le Mans, in practice its turned a 3:47. There is plenty of scope for increasing the pace, rather than trashing the car on the 1st run out. Plenty of set up and tweaking to be done before they run full bore. That might only pick up 2-3 seconds, but the LMP2 lap of 3:42 was the best LMP2 lap for the entire field in the whole race. I think the time to judge the laptimes will be in qually or after the race, but they are pretty damn close already, much closer than many predicted
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    The car is not allowed faster than 3:45 by ASO so it's pretty well up to pace. I'm sure they could go faster, but I'm also sure the normal P1 & P2 teams could go faster if only they were allowed the same rules, especially the weight limit!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Lousada, if they don't want it to run faster than 3:45, then they better pull it now...because give these guys some time, they may find those last few seconds.

I think the ACO has allowed the car in there...let it run and see how is stands up. It wont challenge the big cars for the overall win, so don't set a number for it...and let it run. I suspect the Delta Wing has changed a lot of people's opinion on what a race car should look like with this run so far...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Lousada, if they don't want it to run faster than 3:45, then they better pull it now...because give these guys some time, they may find those last few seconds.
    If it runs faster they will just give a bit more ballast or a smaller restrictor or whatever, like they do with every car there.

I think the ACO has allowed the car in there...let it run and see how is stands up. It wont challenge the big cars for the overall win, so don't set a number for it...and let it run. I suspect the Delta Wing has changed a lot of people's opinion on what a race car should look like with this run so far...
    They haven't allowed it in there. The Deltawing runs an exhibition race as 56th car. And remember that it supposedly needs only half the pitstops so in this scenario it will already finish ahead of the P2s.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Shame about the Deltawings problems. It spent 8 odd laps in the pits. Good to see in pounding around again now. should be able to move on up past the GT cars without further issues. Be interested to see if it keeps going for 24 hours.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'm time shifted backwards in watching this year's race on Tivo. But so far, the Deltawing (in what few shots they've shown) appears to be doing quite well, for what it is. And all through the classes, this year's race is very interesting overall.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It's nose was clipped off by a Toyota.
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout: