Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deltawing

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

Deltawing

I know there is a thread in Indycar also, but seeing as its planned to run at Le Mans this year, i thought this article and video were pretty interesting, looks like it has some ability to go round corners, and its got to be blistering in a straight line (300HP shaped like a bullet and only 475kg)

Nissan to supply engine for DeltaWing Le Mans car - Le Mans news - AUTOSPORT.com
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    I think it's impossible to comment much further until we've seen the first times from Le Mans. I think it's utterly fantastic to see something so different — this is very rare indeed nowadays — and those behind it have the pedigree. I have the highest regard for Dan Gurney in particular. But will it work at Le Mans? We'll see.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How to find out if we don't try...i said that! Keep on climbing!!!!
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I think if its going to work anywhere it'll be Le Mans, it may struggle at a more conventional circuit with a lot of high downforce high speed turns, but I for one remain firmly open to the concept and hope they can make it work
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    But will it work at Le Mans? We'll see.
    I don't think that there's a concept problem but one with power. Only 300bhp?

Newtonian physics says that KE=1/2MV² - If M is constant, then the only way to go faster and faster is to use more and more power. I just don't think you can drive a car to Le Mans speeds anymore with 300bhp. I think that you have to go back to about 1962 to make 300bhp adequate.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It will be interesting and because it is outside the official classification of the event, there would be no pressure. Just a cool car making laps in one of the greatest series in the world.
    Formula 1

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    And that is why Sportscars are fantastic - a bit of 'outside thinking' is welcomed. Whether it proves to be competitive is another matter, but here's hoping.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I think it's impossible to comment much further until we've seen the first times from Le Mans. I think it's utterly fantastic to see something so different — this is very rare indeed nowadays — and those behind it have the pedigree.
    It's too much of a gimmick. Its original intention was for Indycars and their design brief for a next generation car called for gimmicky designs to create more interest in the series.

Personally I don't think it will 'succeed'. The evolution of racecar design has shown that its a machine more for straightlines than corners. However I'm not an engineer and completely agree with your first point.

One thing I do applaud is that we have a race car intended for a top level championship that is not reliant on aerofoils for downforce.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    The DeltaWing car's fastest lap yesterday was reported as 3:47.980. AutoRacing1.com - Hot News Page

The Circuit des 24 Heures lap record, apparently set by an LMP1 car in 2010, is listed as 3:19.074 Circuit de la Sarthe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.