Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Glad to see a bit of technology making its way into here.
    Many thanks for the detailed explanations.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Funny how people see slots where there are no slots.
    Also funny how it's fine for the exhaust to blow in a certain way and direction as long as it is Sauber or Mercedes or evenMcLaren but not for RBR.

One more week to go, and then we'll see who's been doing a good work and who's been only running their mouths.
    Well, we wont see the slots any more. Newey has surprised the field by releasing a last minute redesign that most closely emulates the Sauber.

I wonder if this will compromise the Bull slightly. Possibly they may need to use a fraction more rear wing which might have a slight negative impact on tyre degradation and top speed. Can't see it making more than a fraction of a percent difference though.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Well, we wont see the slots any more. Newey has surprised the field by releasing a last minute redesign that most closely emulates the Sauber.

I wonder if this will compromise the Bull slightly. Possibly they may need to use a fraction more rear wing which might have a slight negative impact on tyre degradation and top speed. Can't see it making more than a fraction of a percent difference though.
    Actually more rear wing would improve tire life as the tire will slip less, and top speed has never been RedBull's strength, far from it.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Actually more rear wing would improve tire life as the tire will slip less, and top speed has never been RedBull's strength, far from it.
    It seems to be with these new Pirelli tyres that the more you load them, the quicker they go off.

Ferrari struggled last year with getting heat into the rears and managed it this year but suddenly find them lasting less. More tyre load down the straight will heat them up and may prematurely wear them.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    This forum could do with an aerodynamicist to explain this concept a little deeper.
    If you are interested in the technical aspect of F1 cars I think this is about the best source.
    Scarbsf1's Blog | Everything technical in F1
    May the forza be with you

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    It seems to be with these new Pirelli tyres that the more you load them, the quicker they go off.

Ferrari struggled last year with getting heat into the rears and managed it this year but suddenly find them lasting less. More tyre load down the straight will heat them up and may prematurely wear them.
    It's not just tyre load. The bigger problem is how best to exploit the exhaust gases vs. heat which is one of Ferrari's (inter-connected?) problems.

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Indeed. The Red Bull's strength has been mechanical grip through corners and acceleration out of the apex. McLaren have had the better top speed and usually fastest through the speed traps but as we know the Red Bull has had the speed where it counted.
    RBR's biggest strength has been more from downforce than mechanical grip. Barcelona is probably the ultimate test of a car's aero-efficiency.