Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ferrari hires Mika Salo

He will be their test driver, according to Iltalehti and MTV3:

Ferrari palkkasi Mika Salon - "Ajan autolla lähiaikoina" | Formulat | Iltalehti.fi
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Really?

Have I just fallen through a wormhole 10 years back in time?

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    When I read the title, I thought Salo is going to test a Ferrari sportscar. But an F1 car? Shocking! And even though it's just a publicity/media event, then why Salo and no-one else?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Trying to recapture the spirit of the 2000's when the test driver was a washed-up journeyman but the car was good?

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    This links in well with the Italian drivers thread.

It is worrying for F1s future with limited testing, when Ferrari hire Salo rather than any up and coming drivers.

These yougnsters have less and less oppotunities now with F1 teams sticking with the older drivers longer (De La Rosa, Schumacher, Barrichello (until this year)). They are a sfaer bet than an Alguersuari or whoever.

A strange move, but as said above a publicity stunt. I heard Eddie Irvine will race if Massa gets injured or keeps crashing. :
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    This links in well with the Italian drivers thread.

It is worrying for F1s future with limited testing, when Ferrari hire Salo rather than any up and coming drivers.

These yougnsters have less and less oppotunities now with F1 teams sticking with the older drivers longer (De La Rosa, Schumacher, Barrichello (until this year)). They are a sfaer bet than an Alguersuari or whoever.

A strange move, but as said above a publicity stunt. I heard Eddie Irvine will race if Massa gets injured or keeps crashing. :
    The news said that Salo works well with technicians and knows more about the car and its technology than up and coming drivers.

They want experience in testing, not potential future stars. Those they can buy later from other teams when they're ready.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ohhhh, I thought he was to replace Massa

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    The news said that Salo works well with technicians and knows more about the car and its technology than up and coming drivers.

They want experience in testing, not potential future stars. Those they can buy later from other teams when they're ready.
    But this is at a time when there is no testing... Is he also reserve driver?

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Ferrari was probably exited about his skills in analyzing crap handling tuner cars he drives in his tv show. :

C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Considering that Salo's F1 experience dates back to 10 and more years, I don't think his knowledge is particularly valuable for a current F1 team any more. Can't see this deal meaning serious development work, unless it involves sportscars. Salo is bound to be more like an ambassador, like for example Alesi is for Lotus Cars.