Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downton Abbey

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Question Downton Abbey

Who else has gotten hooked on this show?

I watched it for the first time just to get my girl off my back, since she loves it. I'd never heard of or seen it before watching a Season 2 marathon with her a few weeks ago. But now I'm hooked and I'm desperate to find a way to watch Season 1 (without buying the DVD).

So who else enjoys it?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    The better half loves it so I've watched every episode. I love the theme music, and I have a childish snigger every time Mr Bates appears, but I'm not a huge fan.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've watched all the episodes and it's good. The first season is much better than the second though.
    “Leave me alone!”

I've heard that Season 1 is the better one thus far. Unfortunately, the "on demand" offering for Season 1 has expired on PBS. From what I gather, the characters (the girls anyway) had much more of an edge to them in Season 1, so I'm really looking forward to catching the first season.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I've heard that Season 1 is the better one thus far. Unfortunately, the "on demand" offering for Season 1 has expired on PBS. From what I gather, the characters (the girls anyway) had much more of an edge to them in Season 1, so I'm really looking forward to catching the first season.
    The second season seemed a bit hastily done, I guess the popularity of the first season meant that they had to get the second out quickly. There is also going to be a third season I hear.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I watched about half an hour of one episodes and found it laughably bad. It's like a posh version of Acorn Antiques but without the self awareness. If this is what passes for high brow telly these days then I despair.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I watched about half an hour of one episodes and found it laughably bad. It's like a posh version of Acorn Antiques but without the self awareness. If this is what passes for high brow telly these days then I despair.
    But you have to remember that I live in America. Jersey Shore, Dancing With The Stars and Keeping Up With The Kardashians is considered "high brow" TV here.

Question

I've finally watched most of Season 1 now. And yes, it really is better than Season 2, IMO.

But here's what I want to ask the UK viewers or residents: is this period drama at all an accurate representation of that period in England? I know none of you were alive at that time (unless you're 110+), but the question of the class divide, and how people accepted/dealt with it, is very interesting to me. My knowledge of English culture and history is pretty limited. I probably know more about what the Romans did in Britannia in 122 than what happened in Britain in 1922. I fairly well understand how the Roman class system worked, and the limitations placed on those who were not citizens or at least not part of the Equestrian order (caste). So, if anyone cares to comment on how the English social order worked, I'd enjoy reading your thoughts.

Of those who have seen Downton Abbey, I've seen some comments elsewhere that reminded me of how many Americans often don't like to face the truths about American slavery in the pre-Civil War era. I understand that the service class weren't slaves. But, at least from watching Downton, there was expected to be a realization among the servants that there were lessors and betters... and best not to forget your place. From some of the comments I've read elsewhere, that apparently isn't always an easy thing for us modern kids to accept (especially us insolent Americans ).

Just curious... if anyone cares to comment.

P.S. Of course some of you probably suspect that the only reason I'm watching this series is because Jessica Brown-Findlay (Lady Sybil) is a little hottie. And you could not be more right. I mean, wrong!!! mash:

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I've finally watched most of Season 1 now. And yes, it really is better than Season 2, IMO.

But here's what I want to ask the UK viewers or residents: is this period drama at all an accurate representation of that period in England? I know none of you were alive at that time (unless you're 110+), but the question of the class divide, and how people accepted/dealt with it, is very interesting to me. My knowledge of English culture and history is pretty limited. I probably know more about what the Romans did in Britannia in 122 than what happened in Britain in 1922. I fairly well understand how the Roman class system worked, and the limitations placed on those who were not citizens or at least not part of the Equestrian order (caste). So, if anyone cares to comment on how the English social order worked, I'd enjoy reading your thoughts.

Of those who have seen Downton Abbey, I've seen some comments elsewhere that reminded me of how many Americans often don't like to face the truths about American slavery in the pre-Civil War era. I understand that the service class weren't slaves. But, at least from watching Downton, there was expected to be a realization among the servants that there were lessors and betters... and best not to forget your place. From some of the comments I've read elsewhere, that apparently isn't always an easy thing for us modern kids to accept (especially us insolent Americans ).

Just curious... if anyone cares to comment.

[b]P.S. Of course some of you probably suspect that the only reason I'm watching this series is because Jessica Brown-Findlay (Lady Sybil) is a little hottie. And you could not be more right. I mean, wrong!!! mash:
    x2. Except Michelle Dockery > Jessica Brown-Findlay!

I saw her on an interview show. Very attractive (and seemingly quite tall ) but she's too skinny for me. Don't tell her though... she'd be heartbroken. In a YouTube clip I saw of an interview, she looked unhealthy, she was so rail thin. They're all good actors though. And the way that Julian Fellowes is able to keep 19 or 20 characters in play is pretty amazing. Whether it's the Lords & Ladies or the maids downstairs, you always get the feeling that each character is important to him. The only other show (that I've watched) that was able to take that many characters, and do a really good job portraying them and fleshing them out, was The Wire.

Speaking of Dockery, it was funny to hear her say in an interview that if she had been alive at that time, she would have probably been a downstairs maid or cook, because her family wasn't "posh" (that word still confuses and amuses me). I think she said she was from Essex (which means nothing to me) and then she went into a Cockney (sic?) accent. That was pretty funny to hear her change from proper Lady Mary to a more "street" accent in one breath.