View Poll Results: Is there a god?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES; I am a theist.

20 27.03%
  • PROBABLY YES; I'm an agnostic theist.

3 4.05%
  • PROBABLY NOT; I'm an agnostic atheist.

7 9.46%
  • NO; I'm an atheist.

34 45.95%
  • Who cares? I don't.

10 13.51%
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is There a God?

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    If a worldwide poll's outcome would look like what our poll results look now, we would be living in a better world.
    "motorsportforums.com users, better than average people"
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I'm unhappy with the options. I'm an atheist because I don't believe in god.

I can't disprove that god exists. Atheism isn't not believing because you have evidence that god doesn't exist, it is not believing because there is no evidence.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    I'm unhappy with the options. I'm an atheist because I don't believe in god.

I can't disprove that god exists. Atheism isn't not believing because you have evidence that god doesn't exist, it is not believing because there is no evidence.
    Personally, I'm an apatheist. This means that, in my opinion, whether a god exists or not is irrelevant, as we do not have any way to know if he does exist and how he could influence our lives. Basically, it's like living inside a black box - you don't know if there's anything outside, and even if it does, you can't really know whether what is going on is caused by what is outside the box (God) or not.

Sorry if you think that was a poor analogy. I've tried to explain my view, but perhaps it isn't as clear as I wanted it to be.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    This is an 11 minute video. It's all purely conjecture but worth discussion:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_ZgAvXsuw

I don't really like the position of hard-Atheism because logically I think it falls over.

If a hypothetical flatlander who exists in the second dimension, passes through the third, their capability of observing things is incredibly limited. Likewise, it can be supposed that we currently observe five dimensions (because time is linear) but anything beyond that is either difficult or impossible to observe.
    Since science itself relies on the collection of empirical and measurable evidence, how is it supposed to deal with unobservable evidence? That isn't to suggest that the evidence isn't there though. What if God/god/s are/is a hyperdimensional being who exists in all dimensions or somewhere above?

Part of the problem with this entire debate is that people's perception is entirely skewed. Theists will take evidence as proof of the existence of God, whereas Atheists will take evidence as proof of the non-existence of God.
    The word agnostic derives from the Greek "gnosis" which means knowledge and the "a" at the beginning is a negative qualifier. Agnosticism basically holds that there aren't rational grounds and/or reason itself isn't sufficient to prove whether or not God/god/s exist or not.

I myself am a Theist (a Christian) but for the reasons stated above completely understand why an Atheist would find my position just as unalienable. Given that my perception is also entirely skewed, it's entirely rational for both hard-Atheists and agnostic-atheists to reject my position outright.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    But God is clearly a cat, even dogs know that!
    Hmmm, sometimes I wonder....

They should do another OH GOD movie and have that little wee, wee, wee pig from the Geico commercials play god.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    May I remind you that if reason is your means, logic is the method, and in logic you cannot prove a negative. It is incumbent on the arguer making the positve assertion to prove it with evidence. Logically, proof requires evidence, whether empirical or rational, and there can be no evidence for something which does not exist.
    When it is found, then it does exist but universally only if everyone accpets it.
    To those who do not, it does not exist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They should do another [i]OH GOD[/b] movie and happy that little wee, wee, wee pig from the Geico commercials play god.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    Personally, I'm an apatheist. This means that, in my opinion, whether a god exists or not is irrelevant, as we do not have any way to know if he does exist and how he could influence our lives. Basically, it's like living inside a black box - you don't know if there's anything outside, and even if it does, you can't really know whether what is going on is caused by what is outside the box (God) or not.

Sorry if you think that was a poor analogy. I've tried to explain my view, but perhaps it isn't as clear as I wanted it to be.
    Carrying your idea a bit further, "and what if a god, 10,000 gods exist, what of it? What are we to do about it?
    And conversely "what if Bogu doesn't exist? What does that mean we are to do about that.?"

In either case we still have just keep on keepin on.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Faith is faith. It does not need scientific evidence. Even so, it has plenty.
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, i believe in God.