Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I see the scrappage scheme as an example of a government failing to see the 'bigger picture'.

We have set ambitious targets to reduce CO2 emissions, we have a society that is getter more obese, and we have an economy that is on the rocks.

So what do they do, make it easier to buy a car! What I'd've done would be to use the opportunity to make public transport more reliable and more affordable. Get people out of their cars to reduce congestion and get them on their feet walking to the bus stop/train station.

By artificially propping up the car industry, all we were doing was postponing the inveitable which we are seeing now.

Fitter people reduce the burden on the health service. Fewer cars on the road reduces emissions and lessons wear and tear on the road system.

Fuel demand reduces, prices fall and all of a sudden buses become affordable again......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I see the scrappage scheme as an example of a government failing to see the 'bigger picture'.

We have set ambitious targets to reduce CO2 emissions, we have a society that is getter more obese, and we have an economy that is on the rocks.

So what do they do, make it easier to buy a car! What I'd've done would be to use the opportunity to make public transport more reliable and more affordable. Get people out of their cars to reduce congestion and get them on their feet walking to the bus stop/train station.

By artificially propping up the car industry, all we were doing was postponing the inveitable which we are seeing now.

Fitter people reduce the burden on the health service. Fewer cars on the road reduces emissions and lessons wear and tear on the road system.

Fuel demand reduces, prices fall and all of a sudden buses become affordable again......
    It's a bit of a pipe dream TBH. When there is freedom of choice would you want to go back to the days of rationing even when the diet was better?

To be fair there's emissions legislation and cars/engines are becoming more and more efficient. As an example the new Porsche 911 can rival hot hatches for emissions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolton Midnight
    Firstly what is so special about the car industry over any other struggling industry that got zero help only hindrance from Nu Labour.

A tax / rates cut would help everyone and not just bottle up a dip for the future which the scrappage scheme did (which all the garages / distributors are now enjoying).

20% tax across the board and 50% cut in business rates - bingo economy back working.
    I agree about taxes but it is rather simplistic in relation to the car industry.

Would people spend or save in a recession? Would you likely to buy brand new or second hand?

Besides, dealers would still go under as they're at the bottom of the pyramid. It's the nature of business that companies does what it takes to survive.