Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tyres will play a big part in this event and along with the weather with recent rain and prob rain on friday mud will be a big factor
    skoda have serious millage put in testing in the last few days in monaghan,pugeot only ran yesterday so id say big advantage is with the skoda drivers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am sorry I do not know much about Irish rally, I only follow for maybe last 10 or 12 year but I not know of any Irish Champion who comes to WRC or even Europe event.

Ok I forgot Fisher has a Fiesta also. I dont think the Irish drivers will be fast enough against profesionals in this event. I think Ireland WRC rounds illustrates profesionals will go fast immediately on stage 1. I understand Irish WRC cars run seperate race in this IRC round on maybe some of the same stages so we should see good time comparsion there also.

Ok Breen has more Irish rally experience, and now fast evolution Peugeot but in Portugal I see Paddon can still take 10 to 20 seconds from him on one stage.

I think Arzeno has make good progress up to 2012. He go very fast in Monte Carlo from stage 1 so maybe he same in Ireland but also no get to finish?

I expect much from Kopecky and Mikkelson for top of podium. This rally I look forward to now.

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCS14
    Ok Breen has more Irish rally experience, and now fast evolution Peugeot but in Portugal I see Paddon can still take 10 to 20 seconds from him on one stage.
    It is difficult to use Portugal for comparison as this year edition was really specific due to conditions. And Breen had problems with engine...

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    This might be an interesting innovation ...

Circuit of Ireland fans can track drivers using GPS eye in the sky

03-Apr-12 @ 12:33 PM

When the Circuit of Ireland makes its debut in the Intercontinental Rally Challenge series next weekend fans are to be given a rare opportunity to follow their favourite drivers from a virtual eye in the sky.

For the first time in the UK they will be given access to a GPS tracking system which has, until now, only been available to rally officials.

It is primarily used as a safety measure, pinpointing accidents or incidents for rescue crews, and is a vital tool for clerk of the course Gordon Noble and his team in rally control.

But Bobby Willis, rally director of the Donnelly Group Circuit, has decided to open it up to the public, allowing them to follow the action stage by stage on personal computers and smartphones fitted with data cards.

“Rally fans, whether out on the stages, stuck in the office or at home, will be able to track competitors throughout the event using software which will be available free at the click of a button on the Circuit of Ireland website next week,” he said.

“Rallying has always had a strong fan base with tens of thousands of spectators attending events like the Circuit.

“But if you are out watching a stage you often have no idea who is leading or which position your favourite driver is in.”

Using Google Earth mapping and data services provided by Vodafone, the system links to a GPS tracking device fitted to every car and they appear on screen as dots which are identified by their start numbers.

Full details of how to access the system will be on the rally’s website, Circuit of Ireland Rally | 6-7 April 2012, next week along with the smartphone app which has been set up by Galway rally co-driver Robbie Ward and the team at Appfluenz.com.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    PREVIEW:

THE BATTLE FOR VICTORY

Andreas Mikkeslen starts the Donnelly Group Circuit of Ireland Rally with an 18-point advantage in the race for Intercontinental Rally Challenge title glory. And the defending IRC champion can also count on some ‘local’ knowledge having rallied extensively in Ireland during his early career.

However, the ŠKODA UK Motorsport driver has yet to win a round of the IRC on asphalt and the last non-British or Irish win on the Circuit of Ireland was back in 1979 when the late Finn Pentti Airikkala triumphed.

The Finnish challenge this year is represented by 2010 IRC champion Juho Hänninen, who finished second to Mikkelsen on the season-opening SATA Rallye Açores but missed the next round in Gran Canaria after his ŠKODA Motorsport team nominated Jan Kopeckı for the asphalt event instead.

Kopeckı took victory and will be looking to build on that maximum score and his recent successes in the Czech championship when he heads to the Circuit of Ireland for the first time.

The ŠKODA line-up is completed by Sepp Wiegand, who drives for the make’s German importer and has impressed on his last two IRC appearances this year, plus County Dublin’s Robert Barrable, who showed his worth against the IRC regulars with a point-scoring finish on the IRC-counting Ypres Rally in Belgium last season.

Mathieu Arzeno and Craig Breen will count on the exciting upgrades made to Peugeot’s 207 Super 2000 to bring them success next weekend. The car has been widened by 20mm to provide improved cornering stability, while minor bodywork changes will aid brake cooling and air flow around the wheel arches. While rising star Arzeno is new to the Circuit of Ireland stages, talented Irishman Breen has extensive knowledge of the terrain and will be expected to fly.

Alastair Fisher is the lone M-Sport Ford Fiesta S2000 driver on the entry. Like Breen, the 23-year-old from Northern Ireland has a wealth of local knowledge to count on, not to mention an abundance of pace and the expert guidance of his co-driver Rory Kennedy, who partnered Fisher’s late uncle Bertie Fisher to three Circuit of Ireland victories in the past.

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: CRAIG BREEN

Irish talent to start IRC campaign on home ground in uprated Peugeot

Your first IRC appearance of the season and your first in a Peugeot 207 S2000, how did your test go last week?
    “It was exceptionally good, the car is very much a Tarmac racer. Straight out of the box it was very, very good, stable and powerful. Having spent time developing my Fiesta S2000 I’m going to have to drop everything and start from the ground up but I’m sure Peugeot can give me a car capable of winning.”

What can drivers competing on the Circuit of Ireland for the first time expect?
    “Ireland is different to anywhere else in the world with big jumps, compressions, dips and narrow roads. In a Super 2000 car it’s horrific to try and keep the car in the middle of the road.”

So finding an optimal set-up isn’t easy then?
    “It’s a compromise between gravel and Tarmac settings. The biggest thing is you need to have as much travel in your suspension and you will find the left wheel is never doing what the right wheel is doing. The roads are also uneven and you can do six kilometres on narrow lanes and then get onto a wide and smooth road before it goes narrow again. It’s a big compromise but a fantastic challenge.”

How much will your local knowledge help you?
    “I’ve never driven in the region where the stages are but I’ve done the Circuit twice. The first time was in a completely different area, the second time was quite close to where this year’s rally will be but we crashed on the second stage. Okay it’s home advantage in that I know what the stages can be like but I won’t get to see them until I do the recce next week. I just hope it stays dry because if there is rain then it will be very slippery.”

What can you achieve on this rally?
    “I want to win and showcase what I can do in my own country. I want to find a good pace on Friday evening and then push like hell on Saturday and try to get a win. It will be difficult first time in the car but if we put the homework in early in the week and have a good recce it’s very possible.”
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is there anywhere I get the shakedown times?

Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
    Where can I find the itinerary?
    https://www.facebook.com/GRallynews

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts

Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
    https://www.facebook.com/GRallynews

Brno, Moravia, CZ (also near Vienna :-D )
    Liked 254 Times in 129 Posts
    Now I see I am really lucky man because I live in Czech republic. We have got so many informations about all the rallies, maps of rallies, photos of spectator places to plan you rally-trip in advance without any troubles, sometimes shakedown times, two years ago we also had that GPS tracking called ONI system etc. (I don´t know what is the situation present days). The Circuit of Ireland rally official websites looks very professional and beautiful but it is NOTHING important inside one day before start. It is real tragedy.
    Visit South Moravia. It is the real paradise