Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do we enjoy conspiracy too much?

Today there's much talk on the BBC about the death of Princess Diana and the 'was he, wasn't he?' drink drive theories on her driver.

I'm not asking if there is/was a conspiracy, but what I'd like to know is would we rather find out that there was or wasn't when the truth comes out?

Would we like the moon landings, 9/11, JFK's death and all the others to really be huge stories made up and messed with, or just plain truths as we were told them? Thousands of small conspiracy theories have proved to be correct, thousands plain rubbish. I remember many years ago a tabloid saying Rock Hudson was gay and it being shot down by 'serious' newspapers. They don't look so clever now, do they? :

Are we, as humans, looking for conspiracy for the thrill of the chase, or because it really exists?

I guess part of what I'm asking is - why do we instantly believe the media's side most of the time when we have no proof either way?
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    But without Diana conspiracy theories, what would the Daily Express have to talk about?

A lot of the theories come down to the public's inherant distrust of authority, especially certain governments, and that makes it easier to belive that they're involved in some sort of cover-up.

But seldom does any evidence stack up. Google for the 9/11 conspiracy websites - they're pathetic. "Grasping at straws" doesn't begin to cover it.

I think it's great that people question what they're being told and don't just accept everything at face value. But there comes a point where you have to accept the fact that sometimes people die due to drunk drivers, planes can be hijacked by terrorist organisations and flown into buildings, and that JFK was murdered by a fanatic.

Oh, and man really did land on the moon. Just ask Elvis...
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Oh, and man really did land on the moon. Just ask Elvis...
    Those are the two that got me wondering, as it happens.

I used to want to believe the moon landing was faked. Now I've read some more and learned a bit, I can equally believe it wasn't. In short, I don't know and would sway towards it being real if forced to decide. But I still want it to be a faked set of photos from Hollywood and the proof to come out soon.

Elvis is the other end of my thoughts on this sort of thing. No matter how many times his fans see a family member of their own keel over from heart clogging problems, they won't believe Elvis did. They think he's still alive for absolutely no good reason When that one's disproved (you can't prove he's dead, they won't believe you!) they'll still claim Elvis has avoided the media and just moved house again.
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It's just a government conspiracy to make us believe we enjoy conspiracy too much.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Craziest Conspiracy Theory Ever - http://www.dianamystery.com/

According to this chap, the death of Princess Diana was foretold by Morrissey in the music of The Smiths.

Bonkers, but an enjoyable read nonetheless.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah apparently the French proved this week that Dianas driver Henri Paul was 3 times over the French limit and the accident occured due to him being drunk. But only 42% or something said that they beleived this and the rest said they still arent sure or are sure that it was a consipiracy.

In reply to the thread title I think we enjoy conspiracy far too much. There seems to be a conspiracy for every major event in human history, Diana, JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Roswell, the Moon landing etc. Of course there may well be some elements of consipiracy or hiding the truth in many events but that doesnt mean its a huge conspiracy, certainly not as much as people probably like to think. Its possibly more a case of the powers that be protecting us from stuff we just dont need to know about.

Human nature is very impressionable at best, and we live in such a world that most people would pick up a tabloid with the headline "Diana murdered by secret agency - huge conspiracy cover up!" as opposed to "Princess Diana dies in car crash". It probably just seems more interesting to some people to entertain these ideas and chase 'hidden truths' to make their own lives more exciting, rather than accepting that sometimes people are capable of telling the truth.

Im not saying I dont beleive in any conspiracy, theres definately been a few things that dont add up in certain events, but one day the truth will out.
    Im back! Now what'd I miss?

Filming episode 18 of Bob called 'Richard, I am your father!' Bob's long lost son!
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seems to me the death of JFK started it, some people seem to make a living of these things.
    Jim Raynor will be returning soon!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It's just the thought of thinking there is something different to what we are told by the official sources, and it's brilliant

But Elvis is dead. Sorry folks.
    ---/\==

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon, what about the cameraman that filmed it!?
    My top 3 Sports personalitys..
    #1 Andy Priaulx. #2 Pippa Flanders. #3 Ronnie O'Sullivan. (ok maybe not Ronnie)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have a new theory of what happened to Di. She had a fling with George W Bush and Putin got jealous and killed her.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...968664,00.html

"US bugged Diana's phone on night of death crash

Mark Townsend and Peter Allen in Paris
    Sunday December 10, 2006
    The Observer

The American secret service was bugging Princess Diana's telephone conversations without the approval of the British security services on the night she died, according to the most comprehensive report on her death, to be published this week.

Among extraordinary details due to emerge in the report by former Metropolitan police commissioner Lord Stevens is the revelation that the US security service was bugging her calls in the hours before she was killed in a car crash in Paris."
    I could really use a fish right now