Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Completely agree with that. It's different but that doesn't mean it's ugly. I thought the 2009 cars were ugly at first, but like everything else that goes fast you eventually come to love it!
    Absolutely, here's a clearer view of it

Personally I think despite the regulations, It looks OK, any ugliness in terms of design in my view is evened out by that livery which has been my personal favourite over the last 3 years, so im glad they decided to keep it when they dropped the Lotus name
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like it cos its got a yellow stripe and its green and black and white and I like it 'cos its nice and i like it.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    All it needs is some eyes and teeth, maybe some subtle scale-like detail under the paint. That would be cool as!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Makes the Dallara DW12 IndyCar look like a modern art masterpiece.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I have been reading on the BBC F1 website about the stepped nose designs that are expected this year and I don't understand why they have to be like that.

Why can't they simply have a smooth transitional slope from the 'peak' of the step to the front of the nose? I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't imagine what it might be. My limited knowledge on this subject suggests to me that the step would impede airflow far more readily than a smooth slope that we are used to seeing on F1 nose sections.

Can anyone who knows about such things enlighten me as to why the step is needed, or what makes in an advantage over having a smooth slope to the nose?

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph
    Can anyone who knows about such things enlighten me as to why the step is needed, or what makes in an advantage over having a smooth slope to the nose?

Maybe the whole nose cone forward of the suspension mounting points has the be lower and not just the front of the nose?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to Pat Symonds on the Motorsport Magazine January podcast it is because the FIA have kept the existing front bulkhead specification (including size and height above the ground) but the teams want the front end to be lower, so all the cars will look like a platypus

Looks stupid to me

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    RS and WT,

It seems odd that they would specify the nose cone having to be lower than the bulkhead in its entirety, if indeed that is the case. I can't imagine what technical reason there would be for that to be the case, unless the specific requirement was to force the teams to spoil the appearance of their cars.

I still can't see why they aren't able to simply smooth out the point from the top of the step to the front of the nose.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    BBC Sport - Caterham target points with new F1 car
    Gascoyne said: "The rules for the lower noses have dictated a development direction and I'm sure we won't be the worst-looking one out there. I think it's going to be a common theme.

"They [F1 officials] want to limit the heights of noses for the shunts when a car hits another car's tyre and (risks) taking off.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph
    RS and WT,

It seems odd that they would specify the nose cone having to be lower than the bulkhead in its entirety, if indeed that is the case. I can't imagine what technical reason there would be for that to be the case, unless the specific requirement was to force the teams to spoil the appearance of their cars.

I still can't see why they aren't able to simply smooth out the point from the top of the step to the front of the nose.
    Sorry, yes I forgot the bit that the FIA have lowered the nose to help prevent a car getting airborne if it hits the rear of the car in front, but with the front bulkhead still in the same place as before. There must be some reason for having the step in the rules as simple aerodynamics would suggest a smooth tapering to reduce drag if nothing else

Still looks a mess

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...