Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Lightbulb Team-mate battles of 2012!

All teams except HRT have confirmed their driver line-ups for 2012, so it is good time to start discussing them. As the saying goes - the driver you shall first and foremost beat, is your own team-mate. So who is going to come out on top in each pairing and by how big margin?

The line-ups of the Top4 teams have remained the same, but midfield has changed a lot. I find it very intriguing that in teams from 5th (Lotus) to 9th (Williams) the most experienced driver with the exception of Räikkönen has had just a bit more than 2 years of racing in F1 (Kobayashi).

1) Vettel v Webber
    2) Button v Hamilton
    3) Alonso v Massa
    4) Rosberg v Schumacher
    5) Räikkönen v Grosjean
    6) Di Resta v Hülkenberg
    7) Kobayashi v Pérez
    8) Ricciardo v Vergne
    9) Maldonado v Senna
    10) Kovalainen v Trulli
    11) Glock v Pic
    12) de la Rosa v ?

In addition you can make some general guesses about driver performances this year.

Who is going to be the revelation of the season? Driver, who is forcing everyone to talk about him much more than ever before and take real notice.

Alternatively, who is going to be the disappointment of the season? Specifically compared to expectations. As usual, underperformance would lead everyone to debate that "he isn't really as good as we thought"...

But every year we have performances fluctuations, someone performs above and someone below expected level. So you can guess.

Over to you.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Can I let you know in November?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1) Vettel v Webber
    2) Button v Hamilton
    3) Alonso v Massa
    4) Rosberg v Schumacher
    5) Räikkönen v Grosjean
    6) Di Resta v Hülkenberg
    7) Kobayashi v Pérez
    8) Ricciardo v Vergne
    9) Maldonado v Senna
    10) Kovalainen v Trulli
    11) Glock v Pic
    12) de la Rosa v TBD
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Rosberg, Kimi, di Resta, Pérez, Ricciardo, Maldonado, Kovalainen, Glock and de la Rosa are my picks.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    1) Vettel v Webber
    2) Button v Hamilton
    3) Alonso v Massa (you see it in motogp when their contract is up they go better)
    4) Rosberg v Schumacher
    5) Räikkönen v Grosjean
    6) Di Resta v Hülkenberg
    7) Kobayashi v Pérez
    8) Ricciardo v Vergne (hard to call)
    9) Maldonado v Senna
    10) Kovalainen v Trulli (Trulli may be replaced with Vitaly Petrov)
    11) Glock v Pic
    12) de la Rosa v ?

Vettel v Webber redbull may have to win each race

Red Bull boss predicts gripping season for Webber in 2012

Read more: Red Bull boss predicts gripping season for Webber in 2012

Vettel to be 'stronger than ever' for F1 2012? | F1 News | Jan 2012 | Crash.Net
    Vettel to be 'stronger than ever' for F1 2012?
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    1) Vettel v Webber: Vettel challenges for a third title while Webber slides further away from the race win contenders.
    2) Button v Hamilton: Both challenge for the title but Button to be more consistent on points.
    3) Alonso v Massa: Alonso to stay as clear number 1 but I do expect an improvement in Massa's form.
    4) Rosberg v Schumacher: Rosberg possibly to challenge for a race win this year if car is good. Schumacher might make podiums in same situation but I don't expect him to ahead of Rosberg regularly.
    5) Räikkönen v Grosjean: Raikkonen to out-drive car. Grosjean to score regular points and show promises of quality speed.
    6) Di Resta v Hülkenberg: Di Resta building on last year's form. Hulkenberg to settle in during first few races and equal Di Resta by second half of year.
    7) Kobayashi v Pérez: Equal matches.
    8) Ricciardo v Vergne: No comment.
    9) Maldonado v Senna: Equal matches.
    10) Kovalainen v Trulli: Much like last year.
    11) Glock v Pic: No comment.
    12) de la Rosa v TBD: No comment.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    1) Vettel v Webber = RB wont be as dominant this year (my hope), but Vettel will still out perform Webber.
    2) Button v Hamilton = Hamilton to start well, but errors creep in again and a similar season to 2011.
    3) Alonso v Massa = ALonso will again pummle Massa although the Brazilian will improve and get a podium at least.
    4) Rosberg v Schumacher = Another even season, but Schumacher will make the most of the breaks and secure a few podiums.
    5) Räikkönen v Grosjean = Raikkonen may struggle initiially, but will end the season ahead of Grosjean
    6) Di Resta v Hülkenberg = Di Resta will make his previous season count and beat Nico.
    7) Kobayashi v Pérez = Kobayashi will make errors and allow Perez to outperform him.
    8) Ricciardo v Vergne = Hard to call but I think Ricciardo may just finish ahead. Could rely on one wet or crazy race and one gets a big haul of points.
    9) Maldonado v Senna = I think these two will each beat each other on regular occasions, but I think Bruno will just edge it.
    10) Kovalainen v Trulli = Same as the last 2 seasons.
    11) Glock v Pic = I think Pic will challenge Glock more than Di Grassi & Ambrosio put together, but Glock will just finish ahead.
    12) de la Rosa v ? = De La Rosa will start the season better but then ? will start out performing the old man.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Hmm, I'd add my thoughts as well.

RBR: I don't expect a notable change here. Gap will be around what it was in 2011 in favour of Vettel. The gap in 09-10 was smaller, but the regulations from 2011 (esp tyres) seem to suit Vettel perfectly. In addition to this he has matured well and is more consistent than a few years ago.

McL: This is an interesting one. Tyres were the major game changer in 2011 and this is where Button decisively came out on top. As we know, we are still going to have fragile Pirelli tyres in 2012, so Button shall have a good chance. Hamilton can come out on top if he can finally have an ultra-consistent season, but based on his career it can be a big ask... We'll see.

FER: Most one-sided team-mate battle. In 2010 Massa complained that the tyres were hard to get up to temperature. His races were a bit better, but not enough to match Alonso. So for 2011 he got tyres that he wanted and had some pretty good qualifying throughout the season, but started falling backwards in races instead. So different problems each time and nothing has helped Massa to bring him closer to Alonso and don't see any change here. Maybe 07-08 Bridgestones would help, but that ain't happen...

MER: Schumacher had a bit of an awakening last season, gave Rosberg a run for his money and even beat him on many occasions. But his qualifying was still horrible and Mercedes being in no-mans-land in 4th helped him to avoid getting a big handicap for the race. If Mercedes starts mixing it more with other teams, Rosberg's Q advantage will be more significant. Another issue was that MB'11 was hard on tyres and particularly Rosberg suffered from it. Depends on car design philosophy, but somehow I expect the gap to increase in Nico's favour.

LOT: A bit like Rosberg-Schumacher 2010 or Villeneuve-Massa 2005 situation. A retired former champion comes back against a young charger. I don't expect Kimi's comeback season to be very smooth, even though it can be filled with moments of previous genius. Meanwhile Grosjean is a complete unknown. Somehow I expect Grosjean to be faster in qualis, but it is open, what to expect in race trim.

FOR: Too close to call. Seriously. I think it can be said that on the whole di Resta's rookie season (2011) left a stronger impression than Hülkenberg's (2010). But Hulk is now in a new environment and perhaps one he would thrive in. Both have already proved to be fast qualifiers, so it will come down to consistency in race trim.

SAU: Should be close as well. In 2011 Kobayashi scored more points, but Pérez showed an improved form in the second half of the season. On average Pérez seems a bit better in qualifying, while both can do well in races. Perhaps it will come down to who can adapt to the car better.

STR: Frankly this is extremely difficult to predict as well. The difference is that while Ricciardo raced and impressed people at HRT; nobody knows, what Vergne can do, and hence the Frenchman is a bit under the radar at the moment. Well, nobody except RBR/STR engineer staff, who seem to rate him very highly indeed...

WIL: Maldonado had good qualifyings and outraced Barrichello on several occasions too. He shall be at least reasonably decent. Senna had some good qualifying sessions too, but his racing left much to be desired in late '11. If he wants to have a chance against Maldonado, he needs to improve in that department. But perhaps Senna is the driver, who can get a good result/points in a wet race...

CAT: Kovalainen has established himself as the natural favourite for the season. If Trulli can perform like at his prime, it would be interesting, but at the moment there is no indication he can do that. Qualifying of 2011 was embarrassing.

MAR: Pic seems to be a driver in the same caliber as di Grassi/d'Ambrosio, so I expect more of the same with Glock beating his rookie team-mate.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Can I let you know in November?
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Surprise of the year: Pic will be quicker than Glock by the mid-season.
    Hamilton will assert himself over Button
    Massa will be better, but he's still out of Ferrari after this season.
    Kova drives Trulli into retirement, and Vitaly takes over Jarno's ride at some point.
    Webber, still a fantastic driver, will lose another tenth or two to Vettel.
    Senna and Pastor: a draw.
    Grosjean over Kimi.
    Force India will go backwards with two sophomores