Page 371 of 525 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381421471 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,710 of 5248
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macebig View Post
    Intriguing. But, how many rallies can Loeb take part? Monte is out of the question, he won't go to Sweden and then he has Extreme E events tbc. Probably a 4th entry for 1 or 2 rallies (Spain?).
    I would imagine better to do gravel rallies and benefit from road position.
    I think it would be a good move to have him drive the car a bit, for many reasons.

Liked 9,377 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Loeb doing just a couple of rallies only makes sense if thats all he's happy to do - but he's actually being brought 'on board' more as a mentor for Fourmaux, to develop the Puma and to bring further support from Red Bull

Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Loeb doing just a couple of rallies only makes sense if thats all he's happy to do - but he's actually being brought 'on board' more as a mentor for Fourmaux, to develop the Puma and to bring further support from Red Bull
    IMO, Loeb in a couple of rallies with M-Sport is a best pick than his seasons with Hyundai.
    I think he would be happier in a «*free-lance*» role than with the Manufacturer Ranking pressure + 2 leaders in the same team (Neuville, Tänak).

Should be also an interesting pick for M-Sport with his experience (and still not far away with 11 WRC rallies between 2018 and 2020). And the promotional side.

However, I hope that this is in addition (and not instead) a consistent full-time WRC driver such as Breen because the current season shows M-Sport absolutely need a consistent driver to have a proper evaluation of the cars and drivers. Suninen might have filled the role this year but he lost confidence + not enough testing + Part-time.
    Would be annoying if Breen and Lappi sign elsewhere; I’m not sure Mikkelsen can fill the bill considering his 2 years out of a WRC car.

Liked 9,377 Times in 4,990 Posts
    The way they are 'talking to Loeb' seems to confirm finances are still the issue for M-Sport and Ford hasnt committed to come back as a factory team and fund a top driver salary.

Ogier was the understandable exception for MW to pay for, but anyone else who's available now doesnt have the same guarantee of success...

Liked 430 Times in 227 Posts
    Don't think finances play a role for Loeb. He already has a lot of commitments (Dakar + possibly other raid events, Extreme E) and he won't be available for more than a couple of events. If the calendars don't line up with his preferred rallies, there isn't much in having him for 1 or 2 events.

Liked 3,796 Times in 1,983 Posts
    People automatically assume Lappi prefers part time season at Toyota over maybe fulltime at MSport because:
    - better funded team (very likely competetive, more salary)
    - prospect of more starts when Ogier retires
    - bad experience at MSport in 2020 and prbly mostly good at Toyota in 2017-2018

(Might also be that MSport isn't interested though)

Breens situation is actually very similar yet people automatically assume he prefers full season at MSport to part-time with Hyundai:
    - Hyundai is better funded team
    - prospect of more starts when Sordo retires
    - good experience with Hyundai recently, no experience with MSport (and their recent performances aren't really impressive)

Only major difference is that there is a new candidate at Hyundai (Solberg), but he just isn't ready yet.

So it IMO isn't easy simple choice for Breen either (if he can choose).

Liked 12,235 Times in 5,259 Posts
    how come it isnt easy choice for Breen, you cant do half ass seasons forever

he would have to wait another year to get the full seat at Hyundai and imagine having a bad year and not getting any seat at all from any team. He needs a full season ASAP on all rounds, not just the ones which suit him.

Lappi said himself IMO he doesnt want to pay anymore for any drive so he is definitely excluded from the M-sport list in my eyes.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

8. Likes: er88 (17th August 2021)
    Liked 3,796 Times in 1,983 Posts
    We don't know if he won't be offered full season at Hyundai. But I guess Adamo waits until at least after Greece to see if a different codriver will bring back Sordos stability.

Imagine going to MSport that isn't competetive to spend full seasons driving behind Toyota/Hyundai and ending without a drive like Lappi did after 2020. At Hyundai it is much more likely that the car is competetive and lately he seems to match with it.

If anything the last 2-3 years have shown that car (and money for testing), matter "more" than a driver. I.e. the "top' drivers are actually all quite close to each other.

See Tanak at Hyundai vs Toyota, Evans at Toyota vs MSport. Ogier at Toyota vs Citroen (on tarmac most of all), Lappi at MSport...

Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Breens situation is actually very similar yet people automatically assume he prefers full season at MSport to part-time with Hyundai:
    There might be a difference about the offers.
    Lappi seems clearly to have a good advantage on the Toyota spot, considering Latvala’s comments, and he was a top contender for some months now.
    + considering last year comments between Lappi and M-Sport, I’m not really sure they want to work together again (on both sides).

For Breen, it might be a question of timing: if Hyundai is not sure about its strategy for next year, maybe it is better to secure a full-time drive now than waiting an offer from Hyundai. Especially if Hyundai has made no offer before his two 2nd positions in a row.

Personnally, I think M-Sport is a risk for Breen but if he has no clear offer from Hyundai at the moment, IMO, he should sign with M-Sport as a lead driver. He could take the risk of waiting an offer from Hyundai as he is the best option remaining (if we assume Lappi to Toyota is set) but, still, there are some B-rank drivers available currently and he could have a bad surprise.

Liked 2,281 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Breen would choose a full season at Msport over a half season at Hyundai.

He's already said multiple he wants a full season now, you can't build up and improve to become a potential title contender doing half arsed seasons on the same(ish) events. And whether we think he can ever get there or not, Breen still has ambitions to fight for a title in the future.

Msport need him. Breen has been on a slow upward trajectory, but he's still on it and we haven't seen his full potential after two or so FULL seasons in a good car. Imo he deserves the chances now that the likes of Evans/ Tanak/ Mikkelsen/ Neuville/ Latvala etc have had. 3 of those now start the season aiming for the title, after having years of ups and downs to reach the elite level. Not everyone is an Ogier or a Loeb who can quickly find rally winning pace and consistency.

I'd ask serious questions of Msport and Malcolm if they don't push the boat out to sign Breen. He's the best option for them out of the current attainable drivers. Will be interesting if Adamo wants to give him a full season or continues the 3rd car rotation. Sordo can't go on forever.

12. Likes: AndyRAC (18th August 2021),EstWRC (17th August 2021)