Page 11 of 523 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts

Re: M-Sport Ford World Rally Teams

Personally I can't see not being able to buy a street version of a C4/Fiesta/Polo/I30 4wd etc an issue.

It's the spectacle and competition (often not too much of that....) that attracts the more casual fan.

Liked 50 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Quote Originally Posted by AdvEvo
    Thats a nice explanation but.

People are getting less interested in the sport if they cannot buy streetversions of a wrc car. (I mean no stickertuning versions) Also Dtm does not have the apeal from a big audience like it was in the time they raced e30 DTM. Win on sunday sell on monday.
    I don't underatand this - people won't follow the WRC because they can't buy a 'street version'? Sadly, this is quite a common view I see repeatedly on other car forums.
    I never hear this from F1, LMP1 fans.......
    That's because if they are a F1 LiMP1 BTCC, WTCC NASCAR INDY whatever fan-boi, they already obviously don't care, they are mere media consumers--since they CAN'T buy--or even SIT in anything like what they get their ya-yas out watching..
    Me I don't think I could manage to watch ANY of that stuff even for serious money.. Aside from the extremely high chance of death by boredom, there is zero connection to ANYTHING.. They are all mostly engineering exercises.
    As WRC became so unlimited, so detached, and so expensive, my own interest has plummeted.
    I am not interested in the adventures of rich "tourists", but so expensive is the making of the cars, the whole field is mostly full of just ordinary guys (in terms of skill or detrimination) who this week decided to play rally-driver.
    When the cars are only attainable by paying Malcolm Wilson 5 million squids, the ability to spend 5 million is the primary "talent" a person must have..and POOOF! Instant WRC driver.

So thru!!!

Liked 50 Times in 26 Posts

Look at Soccer. People buying David Beckem shirts playing on the streets with a football and they can practice and practice and if they have talent they are going to the top.

I know buying cars is more expensive then a football but you get the idea. If you wanna find new rally talents you need to let people drive road cars like evo s and subaru s and eventually they are building there street evo into a rallycar. If prof rallyteams have talent spotters they can offer them testdrives.

But nowadays you must buy you into expensive rally cars. De dream is already over if you know the cost. The path from hobby weekend rally driver to new talent is not there anymore. It s becoming a money show. Bring a big budget and you be a WRC rally driver in a blink of eye.

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

So Ogier, Loeb, Solberg, Gronholm, McRae, and the others don't have talent? What kind of utter bullshit is this reasoning?

Motorsport has always been very expensive, it's in the nature of the sport. I don't know what the hell you are expecting.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdvEvo
    Look at Soccer. People buying David Beckem shirts playing on the streets with a football and they can practice and practice and if they have talent they are going to the top.

I know buying cars is more expensive then a football but you get the idea. If you wanna find new rally talents you need to let people drive road cars like evo s and subaru s and eventually they are building there street evo into a rallycar. If prof rallyteams have talent spotters they can offer them testdrives.

But nowadays you must buy you into expensive rally cars. De dream is already over if you know the cost. The path from hobby weekend rally driver to new talent is not there anymore. It s becoming a money show. Bring a big budget and you be a WRC rally driver in a blink of eye.

LOL... it was always like that.

Rallying was always a sport for the upper class... and it will always be, especially when it comes to building a career out of it.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T

Rallying was always a sport for the upper class... and it will always be, especially when it comes to building a career out of it.
    Actually it was not always like that everywhere. For every rule exists and exception and in this case it was the system used in the Eastern block. But that's more a historical curiosity than anything relevant for today.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

친애하는 지도자

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T

Actually it was not always like that everywhere. For every rule exists and exception and in this case it was the system used in the Eastern block. But that's more a historical curiosity than anything relevant for today.
    when it comes to local competition you do not need money to rally...but if you want to make something out of it you do.

Liked 172 Times in 75 Posts

Around we go in another circle!

I've never in my life thought I'm going to stop watching Rallying because;

A. I don't have enough money to be a WRC driver.
    or
    B. I can't buy a 4wd turbo version of the latest WRC car.

It seems we all too often make excuses for the sport we love, when in fact it's just not that popular! Doesn't bother me, keeps the forests empty and I can still enjoy the finest drivers go flat out sideways. At the same time I can use what ever little money I have to play around in the odd amateur event.

Has anyone ever asked the question, why do we even want rallying to be popular? Watching it live at the stages in the last 10 or 15 years hasn't changed, so why are we bothered?

친애하는 지도자

Quote Originally Posted by Doon
    Has anyone ever asked the question, why do we even want rallying to be popular? Watching it live at the stages in the last 10 or 15 years hasn't changed, so why are we bothered?
    You want it to be popular so you can have 4-5 manufacturers and see 2-3 proper drivers in each one of them and the stray dogs with fleas can run after 10-20 cars... Of course you will get the casual overweight sweatbag F1 fan next to you on the stages but i can live with that if we have the first option as well.

Liked 172 Times in 75 Posts

My point is that 10 years ago there were 7 manufacturer teams, loads of decent drivers, more fans at the events, but has the live on the stage action ever changed? No it hasn't. Lets stop moaning and enjoy rallying for what it is.