Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
As I guess its me you were referring to. Yes, I'm an M-Sport fan, but I dont work there and dont have inside knowledge other than what a manager told us fans at WRGB.

Like said manager, every, and I mean every, website and magazine refers to the Fiesta R5 as being based on the Fiesta ST and having an Ecoboost 1.6T-based engine. It's a fact that M-Sport start with a factory-built car as its basis for the R5. There is no mention anywhere of which another engine or block that they are using.

Racetech Magazine quotes M-Sport’s head of engine development, Nigel Arnfield on the R5 Evo: "The engine is based on the 1.6-litre turbocharged inline four found in the Ford Fiesta ST road car. As with most modern production designs it uses direct injection (DI), which means it’s very sensitive to the shape of the piston crown and the roof of the combustion chamber. We knew there was a lot of potential to develop the piston further."

http://chris-pickering.com/wp-conten...ESTAlowres.pdf

The original fiesta r5 was a 2.0 turbo production engine , de stroked to 1.6 so effectively the cylinder head is a slightly modified standard ford 2.0 turbo direct injection , think originally it was out of a volvo model

i believe the new r5 will be something similiar