Page 75 of 525 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    It makes him consistent, less error prone than most his competitors. Speedwise he is average.
    Indeed, but again what does that say about his competitors?

This argument is like a broken record, Ostberg is slow, Ostberg is making excuses. YES! But apart from Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen, Sordo no one can claim in recent times to be "better" than him from a results point of view. Meeke and Paddon have potential but they need to fulfill it.

2. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th May 2016)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    Indeed, but again what does that say about his competitors?

This argument is like a broken record, Ostberg is slow, Ostberg is making excuses. YES! But apart from Ogier, Latvala, Mikkelsen, Sordo no one can claim in recent times to be "better" than him from a results point of view. Meeke and Paddon have potential but they need to fulfill it.
    as a fan i really dont care if Ostberg finishes best of the rest.
    I prefere Paddons Meekes,Tanaks and Kubicas.
    Do you imagine a championship full of Ostbergs? Booooooring.
    Imagine now a championship with full of Meekes Paddons and Kubicas.

4. Likes: br21 (25th May 2016),cali (25th May 2016),EstWRC (25th May 2016),makinen_fan (25th May 2016),Mariusz (25th May 2016),pantealex (26th May 2016),sindroms (26th May 2016),WUff1 (29th May 2016)
    Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    dimviii hit the nail right here.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Heheh, I know what you mean the problem is Meeke and Kubica crash too much and Paddon is too new to comment.

Think about McRae or Makinen they crashed a lot but they also won a lot. So far Meeke and Kubica just crashed. Yes, Meeke is showing signs of going over that but 2 wins is too soon to judge.

I just mean in the last 3 years for various reasons Ostberg has been one of the best drivers. Having the 2nd or 3rd in the standings be a "boring" and "slow" driver unfortunately just shows the low level of the sport. But it's getting better, Ogier can be challenged by Mikkelsen, Paddon and Meeke. If at least one of them goes on Ogier's level we will forget about Ostberg.

7. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th May 2016)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    Heheh, I know what you mean
    no you didnt understant what i mean.
    i prefere Meeke Paddon and Kubica as they are today.Not when they will? be champions.

Liked 133 Times in 64 Posts
    in my opinion, if tanak/meeke/paddon/latvala/kubica/mikkelsen type drivers adopted the approach of Ostberg and just drove for points instead of the win, then i feel they would be more reliable and consistent, BUT still be faster than Ostberg and relegate him down the driver's standing.

however, good sportsmen/women are not generally wired to settle for "second" spot. They must have that natural desire to win when the opportunity presents itself...its like a craving.

Alright, fair enough if you're interested about the spectacular driving, dimviii. But to me a top rally driver must also bring his car to the finish. McRae and Makinen could do it among all the crashing. Even Latvala can but for me Kubica unfortunately is not a good rally driver (but I hoped he would be), Meeke and Paddon maybe can be. That's not to say slow and steady are ideal WRC drivers, they are part of the picture sure, but the appeal of rally is having fast drivers that can finish a rally, otherwise it's pointless.

11. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th May 2016)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Saying it´s not spectacular seeing Ostberg on stages doesn´t make sence. Boring says the one who doesn´t se him live. He wouldn´t have been where he is without being enough spectacular. It starts to be boring when guys like Prokop comes, however even he can sometimes in some parts look spectacular.
    Too generalising about what is spectacular.

Dimvii, you must excuse me, but once again we have absolutely different eyes to look at fast drivers.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

13. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th May 2016),pantealex (26th May 2016)
    Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Saying it´s not spectacular seeing Ostberg on stages doesn´t make sence. Boring says the one who doesn´t se him live. He wouldn´t have been where he is without being enough spectacular. It starts to be boring when guys like Prokop comes, however even he can sometimes in some parts look spectacular.
    Too generalising about what is spectacular.

Dimvii, you must excuse me, but once again we have absolutely different eyes to look at fast drivers.
    I don't think that the privates are boring. Sometimes they're the ones most spectacular. Groban was all over the place where I was in Marão. Not fast, ok, but good to watch. Same for Al-Rajhi. Prokop it's a bit more tidy up. Brakes earlier than the top guys, but very clean driving. About Ostberg, I can understanf that maybe the Fiesta it's not the best, but he seems a bit slower than the rest of the top guys. I only see fast spots on Saturday because I was working on the street stage on Friday and in the last jump on Sunday. But where I saw him, he was a little hesitant, brake a little earlier, etc etc. Ostberg it's a good second driver. The one that races for manufacters points, not for rally wins... and that's about it.

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Yeah its soooo boring to finish rallies and pick up points for your team.

If the other drivers did a bit more of this instead of crashing every other event they might put some pressure on the VWs.
    #M-SPORTER

16. Likes: skarderud (27th May 2016)