Page 1 of 118 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mexico 2012

Hello...new here. Planning a trip to Mexico this year...any suggestions on websites, resources, groups to help make plans? Thanks for any help.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello Im going for sure, PM me if you want more info, I think I posted a preview full of recommendations last year I'll try to find it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got it, this is my post from Last year:
    (PS. Dont know if the street stage will be the same as last year, but the rest still applies)

Getting into Leon is quite easy, as someone else mentioned there is a direct flight from houston with continental, also I think there is one from Dallas with American Airlines but Im not sure if its still running. You can also fly to Mexico City and then drive (4 hours) or fly to Guadalajara and then drive to Leon (about 2 hours). I would not recommend driving all the way from the US right now, It would take you at least a day and roads are quite dangerous at the moment up north, so I would say no.

On accomodation, I've tried different things during the years but I find it better, cheaper and nicer to stay near the town centre. Hotels near the polyfirum (service park) get booked months in advance and even if you find a room, pricing will be ridiculous (for mexico prices), as these dates always have great demand. If you still want to stay near the service park there is a very nice Cityexpress hotel which I think has fixed prices most of the year, (around 80 dolars per night). There is also a hampton inn, but I guess the Holiday Inn and other hotels near by are already fully booked. My choice is Hotel Rex, just next to the main square in Leon, its an old hotel but the top floors have been refurbished recently so they are quite good, prices are really good as well, and its only about 10 minutes away from service. (check out their website ::HOTEL REAL REX). I find being next to the main square a plus, as there are more things to do and better places to eat at, after a long day at the stages.

About vehicle rental there should be no trouble with that. Budget, Alamo and other companies have agencies in Leon and at the airport and prices for compact cars are quite good, specially if you book in advance. Just beware of the roads, If you can book a small SUV or a Pick Up, you will have a much better rally than with a compact...

As far as I know, pre paid tours are not available in Mexico, during the years I've met people in tours from France, Belgium, Germany and the UK, but none of them with a local company.

My advice would be, fly into leon, rent a car and go for it. The rally guide is quite good and if you have a GPS you will have no trouble finding your way around the stages. The street stage and ceremonial start is in Guanajuato, about an hour away from leon, in the past few years it has been very crowded, and now with a stage running through the historic city and the tunels, my guess is that is that crowds will increase, get there early! The SSS and the Street Stage (not really a street, it runs along a park next to the service park) are ok, but are not very spectacular and are highly time consuming, specially the SSS as the parking is quite difficult, so usually I stick to proper stages.

A few tips: plan the stages you want to see with plenty of time in between, some roads can be in quite a bad state so it will take some time to get there.
    Carry plenty of liquids and some food, some stges have taco stands and sell corona, but this is not the rule
    Print a few maps from the rally guide, they are usually quite good
    Buy your tickets for the street stage and service park online, it can be a pain buying them once you arrive.

other than that, hope you have a great rally, enjoy the stages, the food and the beer.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Pack a gun
    Follow me on Twitter @jasonhjustin

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Is Leon far away from all these drug gang wars we hear about Mexico ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well it is kindda far away, the state of Guanajuato (where Leon is located) is not a drug gang hot spot, the most dangerous areas are mostly in the north (with north I mean at least 500kms north), closer to the border with the US and along the drug route from south america to the states, thats is mainly the Pacific Coast and the northern part of the Gulf. I guess the closest hot spot is the state of Zacatecas about 300 kms north where some violence has occurred. But this is a high profile event and Im sure the police presence will be very high.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    try to distinguish between real news and made up stories from nobody celebrities to attract attention.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    rally results every wednesday from almost 100 series: http://www.rallysport.hu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    href="http://www.rallysport.hu/images/2010/Photo/WRC/02_mexiko/02_szombat/index.htm" target="_blank">is it enough?</a>

rally results every wednesday from almost 100 series: http://www.rallysport.hu