Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I think that it's probably the 10s in my case... specifically the 1910s.

The Business Shirt, the idea of the office and the beginning of electric light and the telephone in people's houses and businesses all tend to combine in the period from 1910-20.
    It was the beginning of proper thinking about how to deliver government services such as education and really the beginning of mass motoring and ideas like Time and Motion studies in the workplace.
    I like your way of thinking. I am surprised to see the 1960s being mentioned here — to a certain extent it was an important decade culturally and socially, but, as Dominic Sandbrook writes most persuasively in his books on the period, in many ways the events of that decade affected only a minority of the British population.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Visitors found this page by searching for:
    buffalo chicken dip
    Another disappointed customer.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I am surprised to see the 1960s being mentioned here — to a certain extent it was an important decade culturally and socially, but, as Dominic Sandbrook writes most persuasively in his books on the period, in many ways the events of that decade affected only a minority of the British population.
    I have no doubt you're right that few people in the '60's were actually involved in the changes I described but I thought this thread was about which decade influenced our current lives the most? Most of the social freedoms you and I enjoy (as policed by society as well as the state) date from movements during this decade.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I have no doubt you're right that few people in the '60's were actually involved in the changes I described but I thought this thread was about which decade influenced our current lives the most? Most of the social freedoms you and I enjoy (as policed by society as well as the state) date from movements during this decade.
    I'm not so sure about that.

Being a white male aged 18-80, the 40-hour week, the right to vote and paid holidays were won towards the end of the 19th century. Specifically in NSW, the Eight Hours Act came in 1916, the universal right to vote came in 1902, and paid holidays came in 1938.
    Things like the right to free speech came as the result of legislation passed well before the invention of Australia, and things such as fit and proper working conditions were won during the late 19th Century.

The 1960s was a tremendous time of social change but only because other white males like me were too prejudiced, bloody minded and stupid to "grant" decency to people who aught to have already had those freedoms in the first place.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    After ten years of what I should choose changes. I dont know . that is long time.
    A leopard cannot change its spots.