Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Cool The decade of choice

What decade of the current or the past century had the biggest influence on you guys in terms you think, dress, run your business, vote etc.? I think this might be an interesting conversation.

I was born in 1974. My first memories date back to circa 1978, when Argentina won the World Cup. Despite being a toddler, I think I was influenced a lot by what what was going on back then. I listen to a lot of music from that time. At one point I grew huge sideburns '70s style. I inherited some hippie idealism from my parents. With that, I am an Xer from the '80s in my heart, pragmatic, cynical, suspicious, relying solely on myself. I'm into heavy metal and synth pop gives me some warm memories. I think Maggie and Ronald were pretty cool as politicians although I don't trust politicians at all and despise politics. The fall of the Iron Curtain and the independence of my country were huge events to me. I never really bought into the '90s after that. Nirvana was crap and Sugar Bubba Billie wasn't too much of a leader. The '00s were not bad at all, but by that time my tastes and preferences were pretty much formed.

What about you (poining the finger the way Ronnie Van Zant did)?
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice post Rudy. I will get into it later. Let's idealistically hope that this doesn't degenerate into "your decade sucked!"
    But now that we are at it - my fave 60's rocked!!!!!!
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The 80's.

There is no debate

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    What decade of the current or the past century had the biggest influence on you guys in terms you think, dress, run your business, vote etc.? I think this might be an interesting conversation.
    Living in the West I'd say the most influential decade for how I live was the '60s. Up to this point society was pretty stuffy and intensely hierarchical. Politicians were revered and not to be questioned, after all they couldn't possibly make mistakes or make decisions purely for personal gain could they? Tolerance for anyone not in the mainstream ie anyone not white, male and heterosexual was pretty low. Overt legal discrimination based on race and religion were openly practiced in places like the US and Northern Ireland. Traditional establishments like politicians were not to be questioned (like the church). Music hadn't changed much in years, electric guitars were purely for blacks and not fit for good white folk to listen to. Electronics were something purely for the military or the space projects, noone else could afford them.

All this changed in the '60s, accompanied by an economic recovery after WW2 that improved living standards massively. Much of what we take for granted started to become acceptable in this decade.

When it comes to geopolitics I'd agree with anthony that the '80s was probably the most important but it didn't influence my everyday life anywhere near as much.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Living in the West I'd say the most influential decade for how I live was the '60s.
    From 1956 to 1981 our President was Urho Kekkonen, who said we have church yards full of white crosses to remind us that we can't trust the West to help us and taught us that we'd better think for ourselves and not let the West or the East to do the thinking for us.

Urho Kekkonen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    1980s

I was born in 1980 so probably just at the right time though I do wish I was born a bit earlier - more likely to have a huge vinyl collection rather than CDs and old enough to go raving in early 90s.

Young Ones had a massive effect on me. Strange as this may sound it still feels wrong to vote Conservatives.

Hip hop culture was breaking into the mainstream its four pillars: MCs, DJ, graffitti, break dancing

'88 AKA the summer of love. Oh yes, I was fully aware that something exciting was breaking through and the possibility that there was more than what the pop charts had to offer. Tunes like Pump up the Volume by MARRS and Beat Dis were like Charley/Prodigy and had crossover appeal. I raided my sister's limited music collection for this new form of electronic music dubbed acid house.

90s run pretty close. I can't think why it would be a bad decade unless you had a bad drug habit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In India, it has to be the 90s, India got totally globalised and there is no looking back since

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    I think that it's probably the 10s in my case... specifically the 1910s.

The Business Shirt, the idea of the office and the beginning of electric light and the telephone in people's houses and businesses all tend to combine in the period from 1910-20.
    It was the beginning of proper thinking about how to deliver government services such as education and really the beginning of mass motoring and ideas like Time and Motion studies in the workplace.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dang! Rollo you're old!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Good question.
    I'm going to go completely leftfield - and while not a decade, the period that saw Britain go from a rural economy, to an industrial economy....thanks to the Industrial Revolution.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???