Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2012 BTCC - Who will be Ben Edwards' Replacement on ITV4?

Merry Christmas everybody.

With Ben Edwards stepping down from BTCC commentary to take on BBC1's F1 coverage, who will be his replacement on ITV4? I can't find any rumours anywhere, so let's start some!

I'm going to hazard a guess and say John Hindhaugh of Radio le Mans fame, only because he replaced Ben for several events in 2009/10. Who else has the potential to be the main commentator for ITV?
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp3 Astra
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say John Hindhaugh of Radio le Mans fame, only because he replaced Ben for several events in 2009/10. Who else has the potential to be the main commentator for ITV?
    Goodness, I hope it's not. I couldn't bear the BTCC commentaries he did in Ben Edwards' place in 2008.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Goodness, I hope it's not. I couldn't bear the BTCC commentaries he did in Ben Edwards' place in 2008.
    2008? Wow, time flies. Yes, I agree - I did not enjoy his commentary for the races he did - the main problem is that he hadn't really done his homework and therefore didn't know much about the context of what was taking place, and very often missed important action, and failed to recognise or spot the difference between cars and drivers. If he were to take over, I imagine he would do more background work.
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would absolutely love to have Brian Blessed as a commentator.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp3 Astra
    2008? Wow, time flies. Yes, I agree - I did not enjoy his commentary for the races he did - the main problem is that he hadn't really done his homework and therefore didn't know much about the context of what was taking place, and very often missed important action, and failed to recognise or spot the difference between cars and drivers. If he were to take over, I imagine he would do more background work.
    That, and his voice. I'm all for hearing regional accents on TV, but his grated somewhat with me, I'm sorry to say.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    I love John on the Radio Le Mans broadcasts, but that's clearly his main passion and I don't think he was suited to the TOCA supports when he did them. Besides, his commentary style rather suits the longer-distance races like Le Mans, where excitement does occur, but not every other corner, and there's more time for analysis and informal chat.

It wouldn't surprise me if they promoted Richard John Neil from the TOCA support commentaries, and/or even Simon Hill - two ex-drivers didn't work too badly for F1 on the BBC this year. Although I think Tim Harvey and Simon work best as foils for the main commentator, and I would be expecting Simon to be trying to sell me potatoes at two bob a pound (it's a voice thing).
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo
    It wouldn't surprise me if they promoted Richard John Neil from the TOCA support commentaries, and/or even Simon Hill - two ex-drivers didn't work too badly for F1 on the BBC this year. Although I think Tim Harvey and Simon work best as foils for the main commentator, and I would be expecting Simon to be trying to sell me potatoes at two bob a pound (it's a voice thing).
    That's actually a very good point. Richard did a pretty good job with the support races, and when he and Simon Hill got together, it made for great TV - their banter was very funny at times. I hope they keep Tim Harvey - he really knows his stuff, and his high-pitched excited voice makes me smile!
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Hindy isn't a huge fan of BTCC.

It's like asking Martin Haven to do F1.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was never a huge fan of Ben's - so I'm not that fussed.

Would love to see Barry Nutley commentating again (remember he did a few in 97?) or Charlie!

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    I would like Charlie Cox back as his style suits action packed racing, while Moto GP has become a bit dull in the last year or 2 and isnt really his natural subject!