Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question: Do you guys think a 96 lexus es300 would make an ok rally car?

Hi guys Im new to this forum and it didn't allow me to post new threads in more relative areas so I came here to ask you guys. Do you think a 1996 es300 which essentially a v6 camry in a tuxedo could make a suitable rally car? I already have the vehicle and seeing as how im going to buy an evo x as a strict track/DD i would like to use my es for some fun.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    In North America? No. Buy a used Golf, Neon or Sentra that's already caged and logged. You will also need a trailer, tow vehicle, Co driver, crew, accommodations and entry fees so you should probably forget the Evo.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Wouldn't a 4.8m car and weighing more than 1530kg be rather cumbersome? Like trying to go ballet dancing in steel-capped boots?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Are there any caged Honda Civics about they are a reasonable track/ rally dual purpose vehicle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Or perhaps an subaru or mitshubishi?

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Rally the Evo & use the Lexus for track days!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Sell both and buy a M3 problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi
    Are there any caged Honda Civics about they are a reasonable track/ rally dual purpose vehicle.
    I've seen plenty of civics at events, and an Integra type-R for that matter, but they're not quite as friendly as a Golf for emergency repairs. These days, of course, you can find any number of 10+ year old Imprezas with or without turbos that have plenty of parts available and are very easy to work with.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricerjimmy323
    Hi guys Im new to this forum and it didn't allow me to post new threads in more relative areas so I came here to ask you guys. Do you think a 1996 es300 which essentially a v6 camry in a tuxedo could make a suitable rally car? I already have the vehicle and seeing as how im going to buy an evo x as a strict track/DD i would like to use my es for some fun.
    Already having the vehicle is no good reason to spend the $6-10K need to prepare the vehicle.

The foremost concern for a newbie should be: long term growth potential of the basic car you choose multiplied by "how much fun per dollar spent".

In other words "what advantages in terms of cost-to fun-benifit does a particular car have?" .

Also "are there any developmental dead ends" in a particular car?" (like there are in the knee jerk "Get a Golf or Senta or Neon" for which alternate final drives, good LSD, gear sets and reliable driveshaft/CVs either don't exist or cost 10 to 15 times more than for other more suitable cars, THOSE are developmental dead ends. (and is the primary reasons why guys sell their Golves, Neons and Sentras)

Of course you haven't been troubled to tell us who you are, where you live, how old you are, what your budget is, what your goals are...

So we have to assume you are not really at all even half-serious about getting out ion the woods and spraying some gravel around or you would have told us all that out of sheer bubbling over enthusiasm.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Already having the vehicle is no good reason to spend the $6-10K need to prepare the vehicle.

The foremost concern for a newbie should be: long term growth potential of the basic car you choose multiplied by "how much fun per dollar spent".

In other words "what advantages in terms of cost-to fun-benifit does a particular car have?" .

Also "are there any developmental dead ends" in a particular car?" (like there are in the knee jerk "Get a Golf or Senta or Neon" for which alternate final drives, good LSD, gear sets and reliable driveshaft/CVs either don't exist or cost 10 to 15 times more than for other more suitable cars, THOSE are developmental dead ends. (and is the primary reasons why guys sell their Golves, Neons and Sentras)
    So you're going to recommend a Quattro? Name anything you can build (or buy already built and logged) for less then $15k and still have any budget for parts, transportation and entry fees. At that level getting a car to run is a lot more important than trying to get an optimal gear ratio. I was thinking in terms of starter cars, which is why people sell them if they decide to continue with rallying and move up to something with all the wiz-bang accoutrements you mention. Or if they decide rally is too expensive for what they get out of it.