Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Says the man whose national leaders had no trouble with passing the Patriot Act.
    But at least there is something for our leaders to either ignore or twist themselves into pretzels to "prove" their "logic" is Constitutional. I have never claimed our system is perfect, particularly over the last 80-90 years. You will find that I fairly consistently argue for strict Constitutional government, which is quite different than what we currently have.

My post that you quoted only referenced our Founders, not our current "leaders" for that very reason
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    But at least there is something for our leaders to either ignore or twist themselves into pretzels to "prove" their "logic" is Constitutional. I have never claimed our system is perfect, particularly over the last 80-90 years. You will find that I fairly consistently argue for strict Constitutional government, which is quite different than what we currently have.
    The matter simply doesn't trouble me, I have to say, given that I do not feel a written constitution necessarily offers a superior defence — or any defence at all — against bad policy-making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The matter simply doesn't trouble me, I have to say, given that I do not feel a written constitution necessarily offers a superior defence — or any defence at all — against bad policy-making.
    Eh, we're well away from the OP now. But I'll just say that I would rather have a document that at least tries to define what a government can not do to me, than nothing at all. Even if that document has been trampled upon for nearly a century, at least we have something to point to for a well thought out and reasoned guiding light of principles.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    There are government-run passenger railways around the world that do not 'suck', let me remind you. Some are quite good. But, of course, you wouldn't know.
    I am curious. What are some of the well run Railway Systems? None of the ones I have ridden in Europe(Spain, France, Germany Italy) would be considered quality that's for sure.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    I am curious. What are some of the well run Railway Systems? None of the ones I have ridden in Europe(Spain, France, Germany Italy) would be considered quality that's for sure.
    On what grounds? Do share your personal experiences.

I think the German rail system, although with many faults — for, as I said earlier, running a national rail network is simply a damn difficult task to get anywhere near right — is generally pretty good. The French TGV lines are, too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On what grounds? Do share your personal experiences.

I think the German rail system, although with many faults — for, as I said earlier, running a national rail network is simply a damn difficult task to get anywhere near right — is generally pretty good. The French TGV lines are, too.
    Nederlandse Spoorwegen are good as well, both regional and high speed services.
    Whats a uni?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Or as some would say (including me and the Founders of this country) the lack of a written British Constitution makes it very easy for Parliament to strip rights away from its citizens.
    Human Rights Act. European Court of Human Rights.
    Bliar failed to get 90 day detention for terror suspects, whereas Bush and Obama support indefinite detention for terror suspects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would also like to point out that the privatisation of British Rail effectively killed off British train and rolling stock manufacturing.
    Whats a uni?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMetro
    I would also like to point out that the privatisation of British Rail effectively killed off British train and rolling stock manufacturing.
    Look what heppened to BL (the Morris Marina van manufacterer) when first BT took over from GPO and they contracted out their van maintenance/purchasing divisions......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.