Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personal experiences of working in Motorsport

First of all I would like to say hello and it looks like you have a very busy forum here!

My names Daryl and I'm from the uk. The main reason im posting is because I'm trying to get some personal views from people that work in the Motorsport industry.

My reasoning behind this is that I am due to start a new job in the new year as a trainee radio support engineer. The company that I will be working for supply the radios for teams involved with the f1, rallying, dtm, powerboats (potentially) and various other racing sports.

This is pretty much my dream job, the money is good and the first question I got asked in my final interview was "is your passport in date?" so I guess that means I will be getting to do a little bit of travelling!

Now working in motorsport will obviously be great, I would like to hear the more nitty gritty things? What hours people work and if it gets annoying being away from home?

But also please do tell me the positives!

If you've bothered to read this then thank you

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't myself but know plenty who have esp rallying, it sounds great doesn't it travelling to foreign events etc etc

But most find it a bind, don't get to see much/any action and usually not great pay for the hassle/hours and sooner or later it is just that a job.

Sorry to be so negative.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's ok I wanted the negatives as well. I guess anything exciting eventually becomes just a job.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    It's bloody hard work. The extra hours, overtime won't neccessarily be financially rewarding come the end of the year.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hi Daryl, i take it that you are still fairly young?.
    I ask this as it makes a big difference to life style and expectation.The positives are immense and the negatives equally so.
    Travel, especially abroad,is a fun thing and being paid for it, makes it only better.
    The long hours, the endless boring flights, the bland featureless airports,the ####y food, the living out of a suitcase in "another"####y hotel/motel room, the bad weather,the language barrier, and being away from
    friends and family are for sure, the negatives, but the positives will certainly be the things you will remember.
    i have been involved in motorsport all my life, and I am no spring chicken, but i still enjoy the places I go to, the people I meet,(especially the rally people)
    the friends from all over the world who i catch up with at particular events, and the fun we all share.
    Sure its hard work, but i feel privileged to have been involved at all.
    So go for it, the people involved are all in the same boat,go to the same places,work in the same pressure cooker environment, and many will soon become friends.
    You wont meet a nicer bunch of people!!
    Ok the money wont be equal to the hours worked/away,but at the end of the day does that really matter if you are doing something you really like.
    Look at it this way, at least you wont have to get a REAL job!!!!!

cheers
    pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Pete. Thanks for the reply.

Ha yes I've had 'real jobs' before and they are not good!

I am 25 so I would like to class myself as still fairly young, but old enough to know the realities of having a job which can stressful.

I've worked away from home in other countries a lot with previous jobs so that part will be no problem. My girlfriend might not be too happy but if she wants nice things in life sacrifices have to be made!

The part you mentioned about making friends etc, when I went for the interview the director did say that once you have got to know a particular team your working for, they do tend to ask for you back if your doing a good job etc.

He also did say he has to avoid some of the teams trying to poach his engineers to go work for them full time.

Thanks for your insight and I can't wait to get started!