Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    It's like that. Even if You make a formula based on simple bike it ends with a one which weights one kilogram and costs million Euro
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    IMO is also about how rules are formulated. In the past the rules was formulated in the way that the engineers could utilize the freedom of the rules when they learned to interpret the rules.

Nowadays the rules say, “All the modification which are not allowed by the present regulations are expressly forbidden”.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

In my opinion it doesn't solve any cost issue because they will spend every Euro management gives them anyway. For me such formulation of rules only kills the engineering genius which always is a fundamental part of any motorsport.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    This is of topic but I can not resist to tell how budgets was/are used in towns and other municipalities. I have a friend who was working in the department which repaird and maintained electronic equipments. He told that at the end of the year, if they had still money from the budget and nothing to purchase for the department, they purchased electronic components for they’re private projects. If they didn’t use the whole budget, they’re budget for the next year could be reduced. The same I’ve heard from other sources also, they just purchase something useless to fill the budget.

My physics teacher once said that:

“When a physicist design, develop and build a device, he can use as much money and other recourses as he want to. When an engineer is doing the same he has limited budget and resources”

But something can also be done by the rules if we compare the prices of F2 and S1600 cars with the prices of R3 and R2 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    For me such formulation of rules only kills the engineering genius which always is a fundamental part of any motorsport.
    = an engineers nightmare!
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Wasn't the F2 Renalts and Citroens winning and being on the podium in Corsica and Spain another reason for the end of F2?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    Wasn't the F2 Renalts and Citroens winning and being on the podium in Corsica and Spain another reason for the end of F2?
    I was just about to post much the same. There were increasing complaints from those manufacturer teams committed to full seasons about the Peugeot and Citroen F2 entries coming in and, as they saw it, stealing points on the tarmac rounds.

Liked 16,097 Times in 6,986 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I was just about to post much the same. There were increasing complaints from those manufacturer teams committed to full seasons about the Peugeot and Citroen F2 entries coming in and, as they saw it, stealing points on the tarmac rounds.
    right,and were much more lighter and with same dimension tyres could use softer compounds at stages.All these could equal the less power/torque,and on some times overpass them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    sorry for my lack of knowledge, but do you mean win out right?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtimad73
    sorry for my lack of knowledge, but do you mean win out right?
    Citroen and Peugeot both won WRC rounds outright with front-wheel drive cars. Renault, as far as I recall, didn't.

Only Citroën with Bugalski managed to win on Corsica and in Catalunya 99 where the Xsara Kit Car made all WRC cars look like junk. Peugeot several times close to win with Panizzi and Delecour in 97 and 98 but I think they were "only" second overall several times. I don't remember Renault on podium.