Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I can't say that I'm too surprised. While Alguesari did a top job this year, I don't think either Buemi or Alguesari are ever going to amount to top class acts in the field.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    i'm still unsure about Alguesari, I think given a winning car he would definately win races, whether he would step up and become a contender I don't know, but he has done all of his learning since F3 in an F1 car in public, rather than running round for 2 years winning a few GP2 races or championship and he has improved an immenses amount in that time. He is quick and he is still one of the youngest guys there. I think he definately deserves a seat somewhere
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    From only the other day:

Asked by sports newspaper Marca what he will have to do to replace Mark Webber at the main team for 2013, Alguersuari answered: "What do I have to do?

"According to (Red Bull driver manager) Helmut (Marko), I have to win a race with Toro Rosso. Those were his words in Japan, so I'll try.

"I have 20 races to try it and I have as good a chance as any, however small," he laughed.

Should he win the promotion, however, Alguersuari refused to predict Sebastian Vettel-style dominance at the wheel of a Red Bull.

"It's a question I cannot answer," he insisted. "We do know what would happen if Alonso was in a Red Bull, but as for myself it would be pure speculation.

"So I think it's better to say nothing.

"What I will say is that if a driver has the best car, it is because he deserves it."
    Make of that sentence what you will.

IMO there is no justice in having 21 year old Alguersuari without a drive and De La Rosa, Trulli, et al still taking up seats.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    The issue with Alguersuari is that even though he impressed at times, he was still quite inconsistent. He was struggling in the first half of the season, had several bad performances in the second half too (Singapore, Japan) and was often nowhere in qualifying. I can see, why STR was looking for a change as such driver isn't really close to being a top driver and would get clearly shown up in a top team.

As for justice - what has this got to do with F1? Every team tries to reach decisions based on solutions that are most beneficial for them (they can get it wrong from time-to-time too) - perhaps that's as fair as it can be?

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Jaime may well end up at HRT for the spanish team.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    I think the crux of the matter here is that for Red Bull it is not important, where is "this team exactly going" and whether they are a bit inconsistent or not. They have their own RBR at the top, so they don't need two teams up there. Second team is fine to run solidly in the midfield and also strengthen Red Bull's position in the politics of F1 with two votes. Oh, and double amount of testing data (even if the cars are different)...
    What is the point of the Red Bull driver project though?

I don't like Jaime Alguersuari but he was evolving rapidly as a driver and at 21 had a fair bit to go. How do they determine after 2 seasons that this guy definitely will not evolve into a champion and ought to be thrown away?

I suspect they're looking for the next champion but they lost Vettel to BMW and were lucky to get him back, it doesn't seem like a very well run programme.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    How do they determine after 2 seasons that this guy definitely will not evolve into a champion and ought to be thrown away?

I suspect they're looking for the next champion but they lost Vettel to BMW and were lucky to get him back, it doesn't seem like a very well run programme.
    I can only guess, but IF Ricciardo/Vergne as total rookies were showing already more in free practices than Alguersuari after a two-year experience, then despite young age Red Bull could decide that the guys with less experience could turn out to be bigger.

Which programme is well-run? Red Bull's programme is massive, so they have a lot of drivers and not all of them can be champions. McLaren with their Hamilton experiment looks good, but if they had tens of drivers, most of them wouldn't get far. But it looks like Red Bull is also gradually learning with experience and now with a more critical evaluation they have less junior drivers than they used to have years ago. With Dan and JEV in F1, I now only know Sainz Jr, Kyvat and also Williamson in feeder series.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I don't like Jaime Alguersuari but he was evolving rapidly as a driver and at 21 had a fair bit to go. How do they determine after 2 seasons that this guy definitely will not evolve into a champion and ought to be thrown away?
    It looks like they're looking for people like Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel, who impressed ever since their F1 debut, and not always in fast cars. In that case, dropping Alguersuari and Buemi was the right call to make, because they aren't that good.

That said, letting Alguersuari without a decent drive (meaning anything other than a HRT drive) for 2012 looks rather harsh, because he has pulled off some nice performances during the year. Perhaps he hasn't been consistent, but neither have some drivers who are around in better teams. And he's only two and a half seasons into his career - apparently, he has speed, but delivering consistent results usually takes more than that.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    STR role is to train rookies, says Tost - Autoweek
    Scuderia Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost says the role of his team is that of a “rookie training school.”
    The decision to replace both 2011 drivers with Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne was cause for surprise in Formula One circles. However, Tost says that it is a logical one, and he insists that deposed drivers Sébastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari have both had their chances.

Read more: STR role is to train rookies, says Tost - Autoweek
    from this i would say no redbull backing for a drive with another team
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    F1 is a ruthless sport/business but Marko is really taking the urine. Just what is the RB driver program really for?