Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Rider bike save [history question]

Not knowing a comprehensive history of the motorcycle world championship, I was recently chatting to a friend about it (this friend is big into cars, bikes and bicycles - he doesn't claim to have a wide knowledge of it but he doesn't bu!!sh** either). We were talking about Randy Mamola, of whom I'm only vaguely familiar with, and he told me to check out his major bike save.

I keyed it into youtube a while ago and, sure enough, I found the incident at the 1985 San Marino GP. I went back to my friend and said that I'd watched it and was impressed. But then he exclaimed that the crash he was talking about happened at a British race and was not in the same fashion as the aforementioned one. Here's his description of what happened:

The rider (apparently Mamola) had the bike slide away from him when navigating a corner that was described very similar to Paddock Hill at Brands Hatch i.e. a long sweeping hill (possibility at the start of the lap). However, he managed to hold a grip of the bike and the clutch lever, resultantly mounted the bike mid-slide and continued on.

So, having had no luck with a quick internet search, can I ask if this scenario actually happened? He may be mistaken with rider, location and/or other details but I'd be interested to know if it bears any similarity to some historical incident. Knowing my friend, he's not likely to be having me on but, perhaps, could have heard it through the grapevine - I can't remember if he actually admitted to seeing the crash but I assume he did...
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Don't know enough of bike racing history either, but there was a race at Jerez where Colin Edwards pretty much used his elbow to stay on the back in the middle of a lowside. IIRC Nicky Hayden pulled off a similar move on the same weekend! Neither were properly off the bike but still seemed pretty impossible.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The Mother of all saves.

Enough to make your backside pucker like a goldfishes mouth

Here it is.....
    Randy Mamola Incredible 500cc Grand Prix Crash - YouTube

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Much like this one (a favourite of clips shows)

Insane Tankslap Recovery - YouTube

This is the Colin one I was on about:
    Colin Edwards - the elbow save - YouTube
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Thanks for the input Rod Richardson and MrJan. Rod, as I've said, the San Marino incident didn't fit the description my friend gave me but perhaps he is mistaken and confusing the details a little bit.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan
    Don't know enough of bike racing history either, but there was a race at Jerez where Colin Edwards pretty much used his elbow to stay on the back in the middle of a lowside. IIRC Nicky Hayden pulled off a similar move on the same weekend! Neither were properly off the bike but still seemed pretty impossible.
    That was during practice.