Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Over!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Regarding the extreme rate of reliability this season, I would like to mention one record 2011 has managed to accomplish. Fewest amount of drivers to finish in a Top6 position during a season: 13. This is a clear record as the previous lowest was 15, done last year. As we remember with the past top6 points system, usually we had 16-20 drivers getting championship points during a season. In 1989 even as many as 29.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Regarding the extreme rate of reliability this season, I would like to mention one record 2011 has managed to accomplish. Fewest amount of drivers to finish in a Top6 position during a season: 13. This is a clear record as the previous lowest was 15, done last year. As we remember with the past top6 points system, usually we had 16-20 drivers getting championship points during a season. In 1989 even as many as 29.
    Very interesting.

I'm afraid F1 left me utterly cold in 2011, largely because of the introduction of DRS, a gimmick much too far. Vettel's season was one of the most outstanding I can recall, but let's not be fooled into thinking that this made the 2011 season inherently any more interesting.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    ...But I think the general high-period of the year was mid-season. Monaco, Canada, UK, Germany, Hungary, Belgium - all were excellent races. ...
    Although one of the most memorable, Canada was one of the least enjoyable races I've seen in a long time
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Oh, I forgot one thing. Surely the low point was the shameful Bahrain fiasco, which, were there any justice, should have blotted F1's copybook for ever more.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    An Ok but fairly average season. It could have been a really good year if it weren't for the constant meddling by the Stewards handing out silly penalties at every single race.

Driver of the year: Vettel, Alonso and Button in that order.
    Surpise of the year: Button outscoring Hamilton. Button was also made look better than he is I feel by Hamilton's turbulent season, however, he did have some really good races so let not take anything away from him and he surprised us all. Next year might be a different story.
    Drive of the year: Schumacher or Button in Canada ( I can't give it to Button because I really feel he was exceptionally lucky to win that day, nevertheless, he wouldn't have won without a supreme drive towards the end), Hamilton in Nurburgring. I thought there was some amazing driving this year even in the midfield, so my choices aren't limited to the previous but the ones that stand out in my mind right now. Hard to pick absolute drive of the year really.
    Overtake of the year: Probably Hamilton on Alonso in Nurburgring.
    Missed chance of the year: Hamilton in Hungary
    Biggest Donkey of the year: Maldonado for intentionally crashing into Hamilton in Belgium. I still feel a hefty fine and ban was in order there.

That's it.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Finally, now I can look forward to skiing during the winter week ends!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Interesting. Judging by the responses it will go do down in history as a forgettable season a la 2004 - which had a great scrap for best of the rest in the second half of that season.

Some DRS moments were a low point but on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed this season. An all time great season IMO.

What I didn't like. The performance differences across the teams have been too big this year, perhaps the sign of financial crisis that only a few teams have managed to have a really competitive budget and not needed pay drivers for instance. Even though we had some fights and passes on track, we could have had much more if the field was closer, like it was in 2008-2009. But now with the exception of the opening two races, only five drivers collected all podiums, even Massa didn't have a look in.

Other teams behind the first three are lightyears behind. And looking at the back, someone like Lotus never had even a remote chance of getting a point.
    I disagree to an extent.

The midfield teams have been exceptionally competitive. STR, FI, Sauber,Renault fighting for points till the end; FI and MGP fighting to be fourth best team on race day.

Kovy has been solid all season but IMHO had Lotus had a special driver I reckon he could've dragged that car for a point.

True, Vettel/RBR was the class of the field but the driving was has been truly exceptional. The guys that managed a podium deserved it because they worked their asses off trying to catch/beat Vettel.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Get rid of DRS. I remember Turkey in particular had a lot of overtaking, most of which was totally meaningless.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2011 was pathetic, boring. worst year of f1 by far since i started following in 2003. bring back the 3.5 liter v10's, and keep v8s and give em a turbo too to mix things up, and let v6s with twin turbos get rid of drs and kers. get rid of qualifying (no points = who cares) and invert the field for every race based on finishing position the last race. that way smiley finger boy vettel wont make f1 boring like he did this year. get rid of team orders for good, get rid of number 1 driver status and demand all teams give equal treatment to both drivers. get rid of boring slow tracks with too many hairpin turns, except for monaco. get rid of many stupid chicanes, they have made f1 overly safe. get rid if refueling ban. lets see more than 1 tire manufacturer. give all drivers points, last place gets 1 point, hell they worked hard as anyone else, give em a flippin point! bring back traction control. bring back big rear wing, let them run whatever downforce they want. put electric starters in the car, get rid of gravel runoffs, get rid of oversized slippery kerbs. GET RID OF BERNIE. allow in season testing. allow f1 fans to upload whatever the hell videos they want to youtube (fom removed almost all fan vids) make the brakes smaller, get rid of paddle shifters (maybe), get a race back in california already.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal
    2011 was pathetic, boring. worst year of f1 by far since i started following in 2003. bring back the 3.5 liter v10's, and keep v8s and give em a turbo too to mix things up, and let v6s with twin turbos get rid of drs and kers. get rid of qualifying (no points = who cares) and invert the field for every race based on finishing position the last race. that way smiley finger boy vettel wont make f1 boring like he did this year. get rid of team orders for good, get rid of number 1 driver status and demand all teams give equal treatment to both drivers. get rid of boring slow tracks with too many hairpin turns, except for monaco. get rid of many stupid chicanes, they have made f1 overly safe. get rid if refueling ban. lets see more than 1 tire manufacturer. give all drivers points, last place gets 1 point, hell they worked hard as anyone else, give em a flippin point! bring back traction control. bring back big rear wing, let them run whatever downforce they want. put electric starters in the car, get rid of gravel runoffs, get rid of oversized slippery kerbs. GET RID OF BERNIE. allow in season testing. allow f1 fans to upload whatever the hell videos they want to youtube (fom removed almost all fan vids) make the brakes smaller, get rid of paddle shifters (maybe), get a race back in california already.