Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Who should stay at Force India/ Williams / Renault/STR

these 4 teams to me have the biggest decisions to make in the off season and therfore thing deserve their own thread.

So in looking at the season ending total, Sutil finished with 42 points to DiResta's 27 and despite some average performances, showed that given the right circumstances and a half decent car, he can easily get into the top 10 and even higher. While DiResta has shown to be decent, he has not lit the world on fire and its pretty clear that Sutil is a couple of notches above him in talent and speed. It would be a shame to see him depart the team because Mercedes have some deal with DiResta vis a vis Force India. But it would be their loss. He finished 9th in the Championship whi is realistically about as good as it was going to get behind the top 4 teams so job well done.
    IMO the best lineup for Force Inidia in 2012 would be Sutil and Hulkenberg. Di Resta can go to Mercedes as their 3rd driver or stay at Force India as a 3rd driver.

As to Williams, If I had my way, both drivers would be gone. Rubens needs to retire, and Maldonado is simply not that good. Kimi going there was always going to be a dream unless they gave him part ownership. But it seems like Maldonado would be staying, so I would slot in Buemi in that 2nd Williams seat. I still think the guy has some talent and is probably much better than the car is allowing him to be.

With regard to STR I think they are a right old mess anyway and fully expect both drivers to be gone. Despite those two being very competent drivers IMO. I would keep both of them and focus on developing the car instead. The issue with STR isn't the drivers.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    there is talk that Alguersuari may end up at hrt making it a full Spanish team
    kimi raikkonen more likely to be at lotus next year
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CNR
    there is talk that Alguersuari may end up at hrt making it a full Spanish team
    kimi raikkonen more likely to be at lotus next year
    I can understand him going to Williams (which he isn't) but trolling around at the back of the grid with Lotus - really?!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I can understand him going to Williams (which he isn't) but trolling around at the back of the grid with Lotus - really?!
    FORMULA ONE - F1: Raikkonen On List Of 2012 Candidates Admits Boullier
    Lotus Renault GP boss Eric Boullier hasn't ruled out Kimi Raikkonen joining the team next year

Q:did you forget about the name change approved for next year ?
    Caterham
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    If Lotus (Renault) produce a decent car as they did last season (2010) and can occasionally then Kimi would fancy it I would think.

He could probably perform similarly to Kubica in 2010. Never the less I don't see it happening. I hope to be proved wrong.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I was going agree with the OP then realised he'd actually suggested swapping DiResta for Hulkenberg...Paul may have made some silly mistakes but Nico is certainly not a 'better' option, it would be swapping like-for-like.

I find the Sutil situation pretty amazing...he's always been a super solid driver, with occassional glimpses of something better. Really don't see how FI will find a better driver.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I see:

Hulk and Diresta at FI
    Maldanado and Sutil at Williams
    probably Buemi and Algie staying at Torro Rosso (on notice of being replaced by Vergne or Ricciardo at any time)
    Probably Petrov and Senna staying at Lotus Renault (on nitice of being replaced by a fit again Kubica or Grosjean at any time)

Rubens leaves F1 or tools about in an HRT for no reason
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho

Rubens leaves F1 or tools about in an HRT for no reason
    funny
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    As the thread title asks, who should drive for those teams rather than who realistically will...

I have to say that regardless of whichever angle to look from, Force India is in a difficult situation. They do have three talented drivers on-board and it is really hard to just give up on one. It is also difficult to evaluate, which ones could be the best choice, because particularly di Resta and Hülkenberg are still in development phase and likely to improve. I know that Hulk didn't manage to impress much on his debut season, but it is worth recalling that the same Sutil wasn't particularly convincing in his initial F1 seasons either, having managed to improve only lately. And I'm sure Hülkenberg has potential to be much better than what he showed in 2010, especially based on his record in junior series. We can only believe that Force India knows, what they are doing, based on what they have seen in Hulk during free practices.

So we have a lot of good drivers fighting only for a few seats and this makes it difficult for teams. The same can be said about Toro Rosso and the whole Red Bull program. Again Alguersuari and Buemi are sort of solid drivers, but the junior records of Ricciardo and Vergne are really impressive. Red Bull can't afford to halt their development as drivers, even to the detriment of current STR drivers. I think one of STR drivers - Buemi - should definitely be let go. Alguersuari + Ricciardo at STR with Vergne doing free practices could perhaps be a conceivable solution unless Red Bull finds a way to fit one of their drivers into another team.

Regarding Williams I think Maldonado has been doing well enough in comparison to Barrichello to be retained for another season. Combined with the enormous amount of money he brings with him, it's almost a no-brainer. As Williams has made lots of changes to build up the team for the future, I think they would do well to find a younger replacement for Barrichello. I see that they are looking for money, so everyone - Räikkönen, Barrichello, Sutil - have been involved in looking for sponsors. I have to admit I'm surprised Bottas has been rumoured as a candidate for a race seat, because I am struggling to see, what he can bring. He has perhaps reasonable talent, but I'm not aware of any financial boost. In any case, I think Sutil would be a really good choice for Williams all around. Fast, reasonably experienced, but also still relatively young driver + some backing as well.

Renault. Yes, personally I'd like to see Grosjean getting a chance. Alongside whoever then. In a broader context - again, like many other midfield teams, money is an important issue for the Enstone team, so keeping Petrov is a lifeline for them. Perhaps more than in any other team, there has been a lot of talk about the underperformance of drivers in this team. First Heidfeld, now the whole line-up. It will be difficult to solve this matter efficiently. Grosjean, despite his talent, is not a sure bet either yet. Lotus Renault GP could also aim for another talented youngster, like Ricciardo or Vergne from Red Bull programme, but none of them is a sure bet for results either, so they might as well try with Grosjean. There have been suggestions that maybe they should aim for an experienced driver, but I don't think Barrichello at this stage of his career is a particularly appealing option any more. If they wanted an experienced driver, they should have kept Heidfeld and tried to help him as much as possible to support him. They didn't. Again, like in the case of Williams, Sutil would be a good choice, but due to the fall-out with Eric Lux they may have burnt the bridges already... Renault needs to take a gamble, so perhaps Grosjean and Petrov and hope that Romain turns out to be a raw diamond? If not, they can go and hunt for some other talented rookie driver, there seem to be a few of them around, who struggle to get a seat in that highly-contested racing world anyway.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Grosjean will 100% have a seat at Lotus, Petrov and Senna to fight it out for the other one, both can bring backing but who will have the most will be the question.