Thread: Dakar 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool Dakar 2012

Dakar gets underway on 1 January.

Web coverage
    Worldwide …….http://www.dakar.com
    Australia as from January….SBS Dakar Rally 2011

Article from SBS Australia
    The 2012 Dakar Rally is a coast-to-coast trek from the Argentine city of Mar del Plata on the Atlantic to the Peruvian capital Lima on the Pacific, organisers revealed on Tuesday.

The 33rd Dakar, which starts on January 1, is the fourth to be held in South America, the two-week event having moved to the continent after the 2008 edition was called off due to security issues.

Dakar director Etienne Lavigne said: "There will be five stages in Argentina, five more in Chile, and then four to finish with in Peru, making up 14 days of racing compared to 12 last year.

"With Peru and its fabled dunes added to the programme its going to be an extremely tough race that's awaiting competitors. There's a great variety of difficulties."

Up to now the circuit for motorsport's most gruelling of events in South America has begun and finished in Buenos Aires.

A total of 465 competitors have entered the 2012 Dakar, comprising 171 cars, 185 motorbikes, 76 trucks and 33 quadbikes. The route is 8,500 kilometres long with 4,200km made up of special stages.

Two of the toughest specials will be the 12th, a 246km drive from Arequipa to Nasca and the 13th (276km from Nasco to Pisco) across the dunes.
    "It's the route which will determine the quality of this edition," commented Lavigne.

"But it's obvious that we're looking to increase the level of sporting interest."
    Spain's Marc Coma, who added the 2011 moto title to his wins in 2006 and 2009, aims to add a fourth victory with France's three-time former winner Cyril Despres one of his main rivals.
    Among the cars Stephane Peterhansel, who has won the Dakar a record nine times (six moto and three car titles) will once again be one of the main favourites, along with Carlo Sainz and Giniel De Villiers of South Africa.
    In all there are 50 nationalities represented in the starting list.

The 2012 Dakar is due to be screened to 190 countries with organisers hoping for an increase in the five million viewers who followed the action in 2011.
    After the success of the rally in Argentina and Chile a host of countries including Brazil and Bolivia have applied to receive the event in 2013.

"We are studying the possibilities for 2013, we are ruling nothing out. The only thing that's certain is that the finish will be in central region of Chile," said Lavigne.

******RIDER’S AND BIKES

rider's list akar

AUSTRALIAN ENTRANTS
    62 David Schwartz Husaberg
    113 Rodney "Vaggottter" Husaberg (family name begins with F but that's apparently unacceptable......What's the matter with this dopey woosy world?)
    121 Mark Davidson KTM
    124 Craig Tarlington KTM
    145 Dean Nuttall KTM
    159 Jamie Chittick Honda

Enjoy

Hey thanks

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bad start to 2012 for bike racing and a worse start for Jorge Martinez Boero's family. RIP.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hoping Marc Coma wins the motorcycle section of the Dakar now. Didn't care til I saw Cyril Despres, bogged in mud, get helped out by a fellow competitior and ride away leaving his helper still stuck in the mud.

Amazing vision watching the race. I can't help but think a lot of the competitors miss out on how great the landscape looks when they scream passed it all at a million miles an hour!
    Get off my lawn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yep. A terrific event. First thing I do of a morning is to check the stage results then I have to wait for the videos to be loaded on the SBS Dakar site........Gawd, I even find myself watching the trucks.......Medication please nurse!

I'm still hoping the battling Norwegian Ullevalseter can improve his position.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    After Stage 13 of 14, Despres has 11 min 3 sec lead over Coma so it should be an interesting final stage.

Obviously the world's toughest moto event. Competitors in all categories deserve a medal regardless of where they finish.