Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Theres alot more buttons to press I will agree but nowadays the driver no longer has his shoulders upwards out of the car, they have a HANS device that keeps their necks within a certain range, and they no longer have to steer one handed while they change gear without the luxury of power steering. I disagree its more of a physical challenge these days (in comparison to '91), but I still have huge respect for what the drivers do.
    that's how I see it too
    Its still a challenge, less physical and taxing as 20 years ago
    but nonetheless still a challenge, which the average person is wholly incapable of managing
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Current F1 cars pull about double the G's on cornering and braking over 20 or 30 years ago. The cars of the 80's pulled similar G's during accelleration as they were up to 1500 BHP back then!
    Is there something that backs that statement?
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Swings and roundabouts. Semi-auto 'boxes must be a piece of cake compared to constantly taking one hand off the wheel to change gear manually, but there's also the huge array of parameters which must be adjusted throughout a lap which simply didn't happen in '91. I'd say the sport has become less physical but more cerebral over the decades.
    McLaren were still using a H-pattern box in '91 and it there was some rain that day in Brazil.

Rocky could tell Vettel when to shift. Senna never had that level of real time data acquisition nor the extra variables and parameters on a steering wheel so you really had have to use your extra thinking capacity to compensate car problems.