Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Farms

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    So now you are arguing that BP is not, and should never be described as, a petroleum company?
    In fairness do see his point. BP's revenue does of course come from petrochemicals, but if tomorrow they suddenly discovered they could make more profit from renewables, or even making shoes, they'd add that to their business in a flash.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    In fairness do see his point. BP's revenue does of course come from petrochemicals, but if tomorrow they suddenly discovered they could make more profit from renewables, or even making shoes, they'd add that to their business in a flash.
    I agree, but, to me, saying that BP is not a petroleum company is like saying that Ford is not a car company. As I said, I have no doubt that profit is at the root of its withdrawal from the windpower sector.

One little gem to lighten the mood, courtesy of the late Clement Freud: 'Windpower is an anagram of 'downwiper', which is pretty interesting.'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow

I first heard about this on a "60 minutes" piece many years ago and it made perfect sense.

The Saudi Oil magnates are not dumb and are always looking for ways to continue the existence of their rich powerful empire. if Oil is eventually going to dry out, what's next for them to sell that the world needs?

Solar Power Comes to Saudi Arabia in a Big Way as Peak Oil Looms

Solar Power Comes to Saudi Arabia in a Big Way as Peak Oil Looms | Fast Company

"Saudi Arabia is the world's largest oil exporter and it has to become the leading exporter of solar energy," said engineering student Ammar Madani. "Oil has good yields and the cost of production is low, but it is not a renewable source of energy."
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    BP exists for one thing and one thing only.

It isn't to drill for oil.
    It isn't to sell oil.
    It isn't to provide Jobs.
    It isn't to sell solar Power.
    It isn't to sell Wind Power.

BP exists to Make money.
    ergo BP is a For Profit Company before it is a petroleum company
    The main business for British Petroleum is petroleum , unsurprisingly .
    It is , therefore , also unsurprising , that such companies would use the green label for marketting in the face of environmental disaster , whilst using the opportunity to cast doubt on rival energy technology .

Big oil and gas put up big wind turbines that don't work to show the public they are the only way forward , as long as they can supply the back-up . Good scam , backed by green-faced governments .
    Now we have them saying solar won't work , and it's a big surprise ?

The refineries keep pumping , and almost nobody is the wiser .

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    So now you are arguing that BP is not, and should never be described as, a petroleum company?
    No.

I am pointing out that the reason BP is dropping the Solar power division is because there is no money in it not because of some silly, conspiracy theory notion that they want discredit solar power sell more oil which people like Bagwan are suggesting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    The main business for British Petroleum is petroleum , unsurprisingly .
    BP does not stand for British Petroleum, it legally changed its name to BP in 2001.
    Whats a uni?

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    No.

I am pointing out that the reason BP is dropping the Solar power division is because there is no money in it not because of some silly, conspiracy theory notion that they want discredit solar power sell more oil which people like Bagwan are suggesting.
    Calling it a "silly, conspiracy theory notion" does not make it so .

BP is right to drop the idea of making solar panels if it cannot compete with Asia .

But , simply dropping the idea , "because there is no money in it" doesn't quite tell the whole story , does it ?
    Many companies , for better and for worse , have made the decision , rather than drop an idea because of the economics involved in local labour , to outsource the manufacture of thier designs , often in China .

Currently , BP panels can be had for just under $3.00/watt . I've seen others from Asia at $.48/watt .
    Obviously , there's no money in solar power .

Whether it's wind turbines or photovoltaics , it's about making your own power .

Carefully crafted small wind incentive programs in the US have thrown a vicious curve into the industry .
    Large Wind creates discord amongst locals , again seemingly carefully crafted to do so , whilst justifying necessary back-up with fossils .
    Large Solar , run by large oil , says there's no money in it .

Small wind was given incentive to create new industry in the US , they said , and it sounded good on the surface .
    It resulted in a lot of poorly tested turbines on the market , with heavily overstated power ratings , to take advantage of the program .
    The consumer was not amused , and the industry was hurt badly .

One example was a company producing a turbine a friend of mine bought .
    It's a great design , but was rushed to market with a fatal flaw .
    The company took on an investor when the incentive program came in , and the investor pushed , and eventually insulted the original designers and , then the original owners out the door .

It went to market , made now in China , with the original design .
    The seals fail within a year , and the inverter , sealed in the nacelle , gets immersed in water .
    Inverters tend to disagree with this kind of treatment .

More testing would have seen this turbine as a huge advance , but not now for the US .

It's now , with the necessary improvements , being sold direct , and cheaper , from at least two other companies from China .

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    We should stop;

Food waste. All these BOGOF deals is a simple money spinner for the big chains, and results in shameful waste by the consumer. Also, we should all learn to visit our local butcher more often. Ask advice and purchase cheaper cuts. Keep bones to use to make stock etc. The less we waste, the less has to be transported to re-stock the shelves.

Recycle more. Food, clothing, heat, energy. It can all be recycled if the will is there.

Walk more. Uses less fossil fuels, has a health benefit and saves a shed load of money.

Insulate More. Whether this be wearing more layers so that the house needs less heating, or double glazing, or better loft insulation. Use cork wall tiles, or polystyrene lining paper on the walls. We'd use a heck of a lot less energy and again save a shed load of money.

Buy Efficient White Goods. A rated fidges, freezers cookers, dishwashers etc. Less anergy use means less energy production required.

Just a drop in the ocean of what ALL of us can and SHOULD do to lessen the use of fossil fuels.

Local wind power production, along with ground source heat pumps and photo-voltaic cells will all help to become that step closer to self sufficiency.

Grow your own veg - it's surprisingly easy and very satisfying.

Rainwater harvesting to water plants etc.

As a family, we are embracing a lot of the things above (the ones we can afford). A large chunk of the garden is used to grow veg. We've invested in replacement Double Glazing (and this has made a MASSIVE difference). I topped up loft insulation in the first six months after moving in - again made a very significant and noticeable differance.

Whilst this may be a little off-topic, all these things help to reduce energy consumtion.
    Not really off topic, and great post!
    I can only wish everyone would be so efficient. The world would be a much better place to live, and we would have had snow this winter like it use to be many years ago.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolton Midnight
    Thought solar panels have to be facing a certain direction (N from memory) ...
    Are you living in Oz by chance?!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    No

It is a FOR PROFIT company saying that. If BP thought it could still make $$$ in Solar they wouldn't be abandoning it.
    So if you can't make money out of it it's BAD?!