Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EavesFan09
    So when we talk about MSMA manufacturers are we talking about Ducati, Yamaha and Honda? Because I would have thought a level playing field would be better attained if the CRT teams could buy engines from Honda or Ducati or Yamaha. The CRT rule seems to benefit the MSMA manufacturers because it isn't the CRT teams who buy engines. It is the MSMA manufacturers who buy from the CRT teams.
    Yes, the MSMA is the manufacturers association which is the factories. My take on the actual 'claiming' only being done by the factories is to protect a CRT from having another CRT pinching all their secrets for cheap whereas a factory will really have nothing to gain, either on a technical front or particularly from a PR point of view.

The thing I don't like is having two sets of technical rules within one class of racing, purely to nobble the factories. Aprilia are currently testing with Alex Hoffman and Randy DePuniet to get data to build a CRT bike and one of the biggest problems that will be inevitably faced under the current rules is defining a MSMA bike. If Aprilia (or another manufacturer) are found to be offering too much assistance then they can be re-classified a MSMA bike and not a CRT bike and the regulations for them change. But what constitutes too much assistance? For me, just create a single set of basic engine rules with the same amount of fuel for everyone - preferably 24 litres - with the allowance of being able to use production based equipment paired to a prototype frame. That way, there is no ambiguity. If a manufacturer (Suzuki, Aprilia, Kawasaki, BMW, etc) wish to enter MotoGP by supplying and supporting a private team with a super-trick motor based on one of their production bikes then why not? Then the manufacturer can offer a frame package if they choose or there are the FTR, Suter, etc options as well. Also, the bikes should be available to be bought and not just leased so a team can either further develop them into a second year or on-sell them to another team the following season.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They will run alongside the normal factory and satellite MotoGP bikes (now officially classified as "factory prototypes" regardless of whether they are being run in a factory team or a satellite team), and be subject to slightly different rules.
    So basically "factory prototypes" (formerly satellite bikes) cover works bikes and satellite bikes?

The rule has been put in place merely as an ultimate threat, to deter other factories from fielding fully factory-backed engines under the guise of a CRT entry.
    But would the works teams (Ducati, Repsol Honda and Yamaha) not be buying an engine that isn't fully-factory backed because it won't have come from a factory team?