Page 16 of 96 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Yes as usual he was first on the road most of the season. In a very closely matched field this had big effect on stagewins.

Also this was about Fiesta, not only Ogier, ref. what I wrote about Tanak and Evans often doing well when Ogier did not. (off course DMACK is factor)
    Again, starting first on the road was a factor in the gravel events. In Deutschland Tänak had a bit of a gamble with tyre choice and succeeded. In Catalunya Ogier was faster than Tänak although he had to be first on the road on the first day of gravel stages. Also, in Australia Ogier had gear shift issues.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Yes as usual he was first on the road most of the season. In a very closely matched field this had big effect on stagewins.
    Ogier was first on the road at polo days.He ended with 80+ to 90+ stage wins each year. Not with 22 stage wins as last year.

Also this was about Fiesta, not only Ogier, ref. what I wrote about Tanak and Evans often doing well when Ogier did not. (off course DMACK is factor)
    yes but we cant take as a reference Tanaks performance at last year at a particularly rally,for Ogier at 2018.
    Ogier has to find performance at his weak rallies with fiesta at 2018.And his weak rallies is not only Australia,but plenty others.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Ogier was first on the road at polo days.He ended with 80+ to 90+ stage wins each year. Not with 22 stage wins as last year.

yes but we cant take as a reference Tanaks performance at last year at a particularly rally,for Ogier at 2018.
    Ogier has to find performance at his weak rallies with fiesta at 2018.And his weak rallies is not only Australia,but plenty others.

The competition was much lower in Polo days, both in number of cars and teams, but there is no hiding he struggled last year. I still feel it wasn't (only) cars fault.

Anyway, which rallies do you think he needs to find performance at for the rest of the season? There aren't that many left.
    Sardinia is quite hard to compare since he was cleaning last year on both days. Spain and Germany were ok, but if title fight gets close he would need to be top 3 yes.

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

Anyway, which rallies do you think he needs to find performance at for the rest of the season? There aren't that many left.
    generally he has to up his performance,or if you prefere he has to be faster from Neuville.
    This year Neuville seems more mature at his way he controls rallies he cant win,and rallies he can win.
    Another factor will be Tanaks placings against Ogier and Neuville,or wins he can 'steal'' from both of them.

5. Likes: cali (26th May 2018),pantealex (27th May 2018)
    Liked 386 Times in 167 Posts
    The competition was much lower in Polo days, both in number of cars and teams, but there is no hiding he struggled last year. I still feel it wasn't (only) cars fault.

Sardinia is quite hard to compare since he was cleaning last year on both days. Spain and Germany were ok, but if title fight gets close he would need to be top 3 yes.
    Last years Finland wasn`t exactly strong results wise for Ogier..

7. Likes: pantealex (27th May 2018)
    Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    with half the season now passed, it is sad to already say that the title for him this year is gone. of course, nothing is over until it is over and mathematically it is still possible but it is mission impossible.

i wanted to make this post already before Sardegna and one sentence what i wanted to write that time was "it is hard for him to catch Neuville but im worried about the car" and it seems i cursed him.

by my calculations he has lost about 55 points, add that to his current points and he would be right up there with Ogier points wise. but anyway, it is what it is and you cant take these things back.

Generally speaking im still quite surprised that the team and car change has gone so smooth. Its like he has been in the team forever. I really lowered my expectations before the season, i thought it is okay if he is struggling and he finishes like 5th or 6th in the first half of the season. But then came Monte and BANG, dude is on the pace right away and boy how happy i was

Anyway, i hope he gets many wins and podiums in the second half of the season. He should be very strong on the next upcoming two rallies.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

9. Likes: AnttiL (12th June 2018),eib1 (12th June 2018),Marcco (13th June 2018),pantealex (13th June 2018),Rally Power (12th June 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

Ott Tänak - Future champion?

He has had stage wins in almost every rally, the pace had been there from the start of the season. A positive surprise.

11. Likes: pantealex (13th June 2018)
    Liked 570 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    He has had stage wins in almost every rally, the pace had been there from the start of the season. A positive surprise.
    not almost, he has stage wins from every rally

13. Likes: AnttiL (12th June 2018),pantealex (13th June 2018)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    mathematically it is still possible
    Mathematically any driver is potential champion. Of course mathematically Neuville is in the best position.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 12th June 2018 at 20:30.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Looking at the first post on this page I see this topic is over six years old. How many years in the WRC does a driver need before they win a championship? McRae's first full season was 92 and he won in 95, for example. Sainz was 87 to 90. A lot of other recent champions were 2-3 years.

Ogier disappeared like Charles DeGaulle for a few years before winning but that's still 2009 to 2013.
    Last edited by Gregor-y; 12th June 2018 at 20:43.