Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    From my recollection there was nothing extraordinary with Schumacher's starts in 1994-95. Overall it was pretty much level with other front-runners. I don't know about TC, but I can't see any case of launch control. If you want to play that card, I guess Häkkinen's starts in McLaren were more illegal - from 4th to 1st at Hockenheim 2000. Or Alonso - from 4th to 1st in Spain and Italy in 2011, oh my god!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    Schumacher's age is just becoming a lousy excuse by his fans who can't seem to digest the fact that 5 of his 7 championships were won in the best car in the field. He was in the right car at the right time, that's it.
    What's wrong with winning titles in best cars? It's being done most of the time like that anyway. Good that you are generous enough to say that his two titles were won in inferior cars. I'm not even sure I'd be that generous. I'd say his 1995 title was in an inferior car, 2000 and 2003 ones were in roughly equal best cars to rivals. Perhaps 1994 being the same case. It was a messy season and difficult to evaluate.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    From my recollection there was nothing extraordinary with Schumacher's starts in 1994-95. Overall it was pretty much level with other front-runners. I don't know about TC, but I can't see any case of launch control. If you want to play that card, I guess Häkkinen's starts in McLaren were more illegal - from 4th to 1st at Hockenheim 2000. Or Alonso - from 4th to 1st in Spain and Italy in 2011, oh my god!
    Was it not people hearing the engine note of the Benetton coming out of slower corners at Aida in 1994 that first aroused suspicions?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    What's wrong with winning titles in best cars? It's being done most of the time like that anyway. Good that you are generous enough to say that his two titles were won in inferior cars. I'm not even sure I'd be that generous. I'd say his 1995 title was in an inferior car, 2000 and 2003 ones were in roughly equal best cars to rivals. Perhaps 1994 being the same case. It was a messy season and difficult to evaluate.
    I never said there's anything wrong with it. Actually good for him! It's his fans who go on like he's some sort of demigod, and also said at one time that he could win in a Minardi. Of course, all their misconceptions came crashing down after the season Ferrari had in 2005 because of the tyres, and the last two seasons he's had with Mercedes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    I never said there's anything wrong with it. Actually good for him! It's his fans who go on like he's some sort of demigod, and also said at one time that he could win in a Minardi.
    Winning in a Minardi he could do but a Mercedes is obviously slightly more tricky

Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    Winning in a Minardi he could do but a Mercedes is obviously slightly more tricky
    There is actually one guy, who has done winning in the Minardi team - Vettel. So it is not that impossible at all! :

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's his age, he's too old for F1. Forget about Rubens, he's a freak. And you know, schumi's time away from F1, he went into another dimension and came back etc. etc.

I would love to meet the boss of Mercedes, you know, paying MS 8 million euros for being......too old for F1. Gotta give it to uncle though, he's doing quite well for himself.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    I see it's still fashionable to talk shyte today about shyte we've talked about for the last 2 decades...the more things change the more they stay the same :
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    I see it's still fashionable to talk shyte today about shyte we've talked about for the last 2 decades...the more things change the more they stay the same :
    Come on mate. He is passed it. What has Schumy got ahead of him at Mercedes? Nico might be in a position to challenge for a Championship but MS is not going to add to his 7. The only thing he can hope for is a podium or two.

On the other hand, he will get more and more erratic and dangerous as he becomes desperate to hang on to younger, faster drivers.

Enough is enough. He was a year or 2 late retiring the first time around. This is just the waste of a good race seat.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Come on mate. He is passed it. What has Schumy got ahead of him at Mercedes? Nico might be in a position to challenge for a Championship but MS is not going to add to his 7. The only thing he can hope for is a podium or two.

On the other hand, he will get more and more erratic and dangerous as he becomes desperate to hang on to younger, faster drivers.

Enough is enough. He was a year or 2 late retiring the first time around. This is just the waste of a good race seat.
    I think he retired at just the right time. His last race in Brazil 2006 was one of his best coming from the back to fourth. He still had it but realised it was time to go.

I think boredom got the better of him the years after he retired and then he made his comeback. While I think he should have pursued soemthing else considering his age, it is great for fans like myself to be able to watch him again even though he is not as fast as he used to be.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

What do you have in mind with that? That he should have retired in 2005 or 2004? I don't think so. The 2006 title fight would have been much more boring without him. Perhaps there would have been no fight, just Alonso dominating all season. So Schumacher was still an addition to F1 and retired at the right time.

I was critical about Schumi earlier, especially in 2010. But he has improved and now I have to say he deserves to race in F1 in Mercedes GP. It is impressive, how Schumacher has managed to become relatively impressive again, when it seemed that he is hopelessly past it. Even at this age, he is proving, how his methodological approach works and he can solve issues, regardless of how difficult they seem.

Of course perhaps he is not performing that much better in 2011 than 2010, just the rules and circumstances are different. By that I mean that qualifying counts much less nowadays and besides that Mercedes is lonely in a no-mans-land in 7th and 8th, so with no-one threatening in front or behind, drivers have no-one else to race against. But in 2010 Schumi failed to get into Q3 in a tighter midfield (I remember Williams was pretty handy in qualifying trim, as was Kubica). And from there he had no chance of catching Rosberg even if his race pace was as good - because he was likely stuck behind someone and passing was rare.