Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    It's amazing how many people remember Stirling Moss as a racing driver and that's 45 years after his Grand Prix career came to an end.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    It's amazing how many people remember Stirling Moss as a racing driver and that's 45 years after his Grand Prix career came to an end.
    Yes, but how many of those people are under the age of 45 I wonder?

Certainly there will be motor-racing fans under that age that have heard of Stirling, but even so I bet none of those would say that Stirling was their favourite driver, thereby making him, by default, 'unpopular' amongst under-45's in a poll.

Like-wise with the late Gilles amongst Ferrari fans under the age of 25.

Which does re-emphasis my original point that the 'popularity' of a driver is a meaningless, because the diminishing popularity of a driver doesn't have any effect on their record of achievements on track.

I reckon I can safely say that Enzo himself would rather have somebody who won 70+ GP's in his team than somebody who is likeable but who didn't win many races, because it's winning that matters.

Let's face it, Ivan Capelli was (is) a lovely bloke, but it didn't help him.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Yes, but how many of those people are under the age of 45 I wonder?
    You mean 55, I doubt may started watching motor racing before they were at least 10 (I would even make it 15 or more for that era).
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    You mean 55, I doubt may started watching motor racing before they were at least 10 (I would even make it 15 or more for that era).
    Fair point, although I knew the Ferrari driver's names when I was four (Lauda & Reggazoni, just to give an indication of my age).

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ask an average person here in the USA to name a F1 driver and MS will probably be the only name they know (except NASCAR fans who will name JPM???)
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan

Well I'm "only" 37 and I rank Sir Stirling right up there with Schumi. It's not just WHAT you achieve, it's HOW you achieve it.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts

Different drivers, different eras, different opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    I reckon I can safely say that Enzo himself would rather have somebody who won 70+ GP's in his team than somebody who is likeable but who didn't win many races, because it's winning that matters.
    Quite so. Just as a driver would prefer a reliable car, as well as having one that's fast enough to be able to compete with the front-runners. Or as in Gilles' case in Jarama 81', 'just' fast enough (and for at least this occasion, reliable enough) to stay ahead of the pack.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On