Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

MotoGP - Valencia

MotoGP concludes the 2011 season with a heavy heart this weekend, still struggling under the black cloud left by the sudden death of Marco Simoncelli in an horrific freak accident at the previous round in Malaysia.

Whilst the excitement that should surround a MotoGP round won't be there, I am looking forward to seeing how the paddock tributes Super Sic. I know they will do him justice. Unfortunately Colin Edwards won't be there, injured in the crash with Simoncelli, his place to be filled by AMA Superbike champ Josh Hayes. Jorge Lorenzo will miss again due to his still healing re-attached finger but Ben Spies will return from the beatings he's copped in Malaysia and Australia.

The two feeder categories are both still to be decided though for the Moto2 class it might be done and dusted with Bradl champion before the weekend starts if Marquez can't overcome injury for the event. In the 125 class, Johann Zarco is an outside shot of glory with a significant deficit to leader Nico Terol but a little bad luck to the spaniard and the championship is still possible. Stranger things have happened.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really enjoyed that final qualifying session. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would pay to watch Casey ride around on his own. That display tonite was breathtaking. He went 2nd fastest on his 2nd flying lap after giving everyone else 10 minutes head start and was fastest on the next lap then obliterated the field from there. Amazing.
    Nice to see Speez back at the pointy end after some painful times and RDP was very impressive all session. Hopefully he has a good ride tomorrow and has a ride in MotoGP next year. I really hope Aoyama can find something tomorrow for him and his team, it's been a struggle so far.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a brand new Tech3 fan (yes, I have chosen my team and what other team was I going to choose when we have a Brit riding for Monster Yamaha Tech3??), a big shout to Josh Hayes. Showing great potential in warm-up to beat Pedrosa. I wonder if he will get a ride in 2012?

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Not a bad race to end the season on. A particularly nice touch was the tribute lap for Simoncelli - I was quite taken by that.

Disappointed that Spies couldn't hang on down the back straight, but a great ride from him nonetheless. Also some great riding from Crutchlow, Abraham and Dovi
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, how do you top that for a day of racing? Here I was thinking that the efforts of riders were likely to be subdued after the tribute to Simoncelli and with the continuing unpredictable weather conditions. How wrong I was.

The conditions allowed rider’s to showcase their talents in a variety of conditions and some monumental battles took place.

125 race……Vinales' battle for the win over Terol and Faubel was great to watch. It was a shame that Zarco dropped his bike in the early stages although there was no way that he was going to win the title with Terol in such good form.

Equally surprising was seeing Paris Hilton on the podium with her legs crossed.

Then we had the Moto2 race……..what a great result for the Gresini team and Pirro after Takahashi’s crash. Excellent rides by Kallio, Aegerter and Hernandez.

However, the best racing shown on TV was between those involved in the second pack.

West had been on the grass on lap 1 on two occasions and lost a lot of ground. However, he plugged away and with seven laps remaining, he was snapping at the heels of the second pack including Noyes who was having a great ride, Di Meglio and Iannone who all became embroiled in a monumental tussle.

After running off-track, Hernandez joined this pack and some of the closest racing you could wish for ensued. West started the last lap in 8th spot but by the last corner, was up to 4th and held the position to the finish line.

MotoGP started with a bang, in fact several bangs as Dovisioso moved slightly to the right at the approach to left turn #1 as Bautista appears to have started tipping the Zook to the left to negotiate the turn as a result of which contact was made and down went Bautista taking out Rossi, Hayden and De Puniet.

Stoner was getting away and put in a copybook performance but the best racing as such involved Spies, Dovisioso and Padrosa. This was the most determined ride I have seen by Dovisioso and Spies’ ride was reminiscent of his Superbike performances.

I felt that Spies deserved the win after that effort but after looking as though he was set to win to the applause of the crowd, Stoner must have pressed the nitro button and won by nowt narrow of margins………….Unbelievable and stunned everyone!

A couple of performances requiring special mention in my opinion were those of Hayes in his maiden race on a GP bike and Crutchlow.

In summary, a fitting tribute Simoncelli, to a popular win for the Gresini Team in Moto2, the end of the 125cc and 2 stroke racing era in GP, the end of Capirossi’s GP riding career and to to the end of the 2011 season. Life moves on.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    Also some great riding from Crutchlow, Abraham and Dovi
    Gives me great hope that with a new 1000cc bike Monster Yamaha will become a stronger team with Cal and Dovi, with the pace of Dovi and clearly the overtaking potential and ability to close up of Cal. That was no rookie he overtook in Dani Pedrosa.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    I'm still mesmerised by Stoner's run off the final corner. That was huge!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Valencia was a great way to finish the season. The conditions were completely dodgy but it managed to make for great racing.

The 125s were a bit of an anti-climax from early on when Zarco fell, however as the race progressed and Terol started accelerating through the pack it became more interesting and I'm glad Nico was able to win the title with a podium finish, he's a very worthy champion. Maverick Vinales winning again was great and sends an ominous sign to the competition for next season. Also, another good ride by Hector Faubel. I would hope that the age limit for 125/Moto3 getss scrapped so he can stay in the series. I don't think the limit actually achieves anything other than curtailing riders careers years early.

The Moto2 race was a barnstormer! That Michele Pirro won his first race for Gresini couldn't have been more perfect and to see the emotion flow from the team was touching. Nice to see Mika Kallio back on the podium and it's always cool to see someone get their first podium so I was pleased for Dominique Aegerter. The battle further back was enthralling, particularly West and Noyes who must've fought back and forth for at least two thirds of the race. Hopefully their results will see them with a ride next year, especially Ant who suffered being knocked off in the two rounds previous to miss out on his improving form.

MotoGP had their best race of the year. The battle of the rookies went down to the wire and only a small mistake by the impressive Karel Abraham allowed Cal Crutchlow to win the honours on the last lap. Pedrosa and Dovi duking it out was entertaining and Dovi's tactics were pretty plain to see early on - stay in front at all times! Third in the title is a well deserved result for Andrea. Stoner looked to have the race in the bag for 80% of the race until that final heavier shower came, then Spies rode inspired using wide sweeping lines for maximum flow. I thought Ben was going to walk away with the win once he passed Casey but Stoner hung in there and I was gobsmacked to see the run to the line that Stoner got over Spies. Had that been scripted in a movie I would've said it was farfetched rubbish!

Finally, I really thought the tribute to Super Sic by the whole paddock was fittingly beautiful. Marco would've been proud. Also, thanks to the commentators for having the respect to remain silent so we could enjoy the tribute as it was intended.
    Get off my lawn