Page 16 of 747 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116516 ... LastLast
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    The article in GP Week: GP Week : Issue 167, Page 1 .

Intriguingly, it claims that Citroen is planning an R5 car (which would obviously be in competition with the Peugeot 208 R5). It is reported elsewhere in the issue that Citroen is applying to the FIA to build an 'S2000' (R5?) specification DS3 at the behest of Nasser Al-Attiyah, so that he can drive it in the Middle East Rally Championship.

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    DS3 S2000 was homologated already on 1st Janury 2011. It is not possible to homologate WRC Kit without homologation of S2000 car. WRC Kit is only an extension of S2000 homologation and can't exist alone. Nasser was entered to Rally Lebanon with DS3 S2000 but in the end he didn't start officially due to safety issues (Qatar government asked its citizens not to travel to Lebanon).

Yves Matton already some time a go claimed they would build both 208 and DS3 in R5 spec. with DS3 coming later. There are strong rumors about Citroën leaving WRC after Loebs retirement being replaced by Peugeot. Just a swap of playgrounds for PSA brands.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,474 Times in 573 Posts
    I just hope R5 will really be much cheaper, that is what rallying really need! If not, it's useless. Every time they create a new category it brings new costs (development etc), so the cars become more expensive. It's time to keep the regulations stable for a few years, so manufactures don't have to start all over again every 2 years...

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    FIA has set the max price for R5 to 180 000€.
    Peugeot Sport Teases New 208 Type R5 Racer with 280HP Prior to Paris Motor Show - Carscoop

Looking in retrospect, the 268 000€ pricecap on S2000NA from 2006/07 has been kept pretty well, all considered. Lets hope production numbers on R5 will make sure the same thing happen here!

180 000€ is still a lot of money, and the first number we heard for R5 was as far as I remember was 100 k €, so it has risen a lot during the planning phase....

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Lets hope the regs stay for at least 5 years with smaller adjustments!

But with 400NM from 2500 rpm, S2000NA and R3 will still be my favorites seen from a pure sound perspective !!

Quote Originally Posted by dupanton
    It's time to keep the regulations stable for a few years, so manufactures don't have to start all over again every 2 years...
    Every problem actually has two point of view. A sport in which manufacturers are engaged (almost any kind of motorsport - rallying completely as homologations are required) needs a restart from time to time. Every period has basically same story - first few manufacturers testing new rules, after more others joining the competition, later first unsuccessful starting to fade away and in the end only two or three most successful contenders stay which means the proper competition is ruined. No new manufacturers join because they can't afford spending several years learning how to catch those established best ones without much chance for early success. For that reason from time to time new regulations are a must. They partly equalize the conditions and give a chance to newcomers to successfully join the party.

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    The bigges news for me was that DI can be used. I thought it was to be normal injection, to save cost.
    Well, I believe a manufacturer that doesn’t have a DI engine today are developing or are going to develop a DI engine. Going green today is the trend, the same power with less fuel consumption, less pollution.

The “world engine” is not allowed and I don’t think any manufacturer is going to develop a DI engine just for the purpose to homologate a R5 car. All the new DI engines will emerge the natural way.

With a same size restrictor (same amount of air) for a DI engine and for example a MPI engine, I believe the DI engine has an advantage because the efficiency is better for a DI engine. More power & torque with the same fuel (air) consumption.

I don’t know if I’m right about this but if I’m, using a MPI engine should be compensated in some way (bigger restrictor?).

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    Other issues to save cost, simple standard 5 speed gearbox, and simple 4wd system. Same with suspension, only McPhearson and interchangable front/rear, smart.
    And also a simpler LSD. Make things simpler and save costs.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts

It's strange that there are always two sets of rules for same car. These general ones and than more specific homologation regulations which usually aren't officially presented on FIA website...