Page 490 of 747 FirstFirst ... 390440480488489490491492500540590 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 7463
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Aren't these retirement stats for the R5 Fiesta going to be biased against it as it was the earliest R5 ?

Of the total number in use, many Fiesta's are going to be older cars and have done more mileage and events.

They were also cheaper to buy originally.
    I mentioned only stats for 2017. Fiesta had pretty good numbers (not that good in 2014 when it was new).

I don't think that the age of the rally car makes it worse in relation to reliability. That is more about particular team preparation and maintenance and I think that we can assume that all cars get in average similar maintenance. How old is the bodyshell is imho not very important (see Loeb's Xsara WRC stats).

On the other hand we may ask whether older cars actually aren't generally more reliable because their technical solutions are proven. The new cars often tend to be unreliable because some issues are very hard to find and solve during testing.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: mousti (3rd January 2018),the sniper (4th January 2018)
    Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I mentioned only stats for 2017. Fiesta had pretty good numbers (not that good in 2014 when it was new).

I don't think that the age of the rally car makes it worse in relation to reliability. That is more about particular team preparation and maintenance and I think that we can assume that all cars get in average similar maintenance. How old is the bodyshell is imho not very important (see Loeb's Xsara WRC stats).

On the other hand we may ask whether older cars actually aren't generally more reliable because their technical solutions are proven. The new cars often tend to be unreliable because some issues are very hard to find and solve during testing.
    The older cars were still being driven in 2017 though. Plus they would be getting cheaper and into the hands of smaller, less well financed teams. IMO such stats prove nothing.
    #M-SPORTER

The older cars were still being driven in 2017 though. Plus they would be getting cheaper and into the hands of smaller, less well financed teams. IMO such stats prove nothing.
    I don't know what You're trying to say. Old bodyshell means nothing. Fiesta R5 has much better reliability stats in 2017 then it had in 2014 so what's Your point? Both Fiesta and Fabia reliability stats show that the cars became more reliable with every following year, i.e. they had the worst reliability when they were new and since then they become gradually better and that is perfectly logical.

By the way Loeb used to drive 4-5 years old bodyshells of Xsara WRC and it didn't stop him from winning WRC titles.

5. Likes: pantealex (4th January 2018)
    Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    he is msport fan so.....
    fb page
    bring back acropolis rally to wrc calendar

7. Likes: focus206 (4th January 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by nafpaktos View Post
    he is msport fan so.....
    What's wrong with M-Sport stats there? They are pretty good, aren't they?

Liked 9,310 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Mirek you started highlighting the stats on reliability... what were You trying to say ?

I dont suppose it's because they favoured Škoda...

Liked 248 Times in 125 Posts
    Mirek you started highlighting the stats on reliability... what were You trying to say ?

I don't understand why you seem surprised about these stats? Škoda is a bit better than Ford (quite small margin), everyone know PSA R5 is (at least was) rubbish, I20 relatively new car with possibly not eliminated defects, and Mirage is garage made rally car; everything is true, and reflects in those stats. Old bodyshell is irrelevant - it's all about maintaining car, replacing parts, and how driver using it.

11. Likes: RS (4th January 2018),the sniper (4th January 2018)

I have posted an article with an analysis based on very large amount of data which us fans don't have. I am not author of the analysis (neither have I any sort of relation to the author or ewrc server) and I don't claim anything besides what is described in the article. It's You who came with a statement which is in direct contradiction with recorded stats therefore it's up to You to back up Your claims (i.e. that older cars become less reliable while the recorded trend shows exactly opposite).

I haven't posted this article because I like Škoda (I like M-Sport too and FYI I worked for years on Ford vehicle development). Yes, it shows Škoda as the most reliable but I think that it's hardly a surprise for anyone. Maybe the fact that M-Sport was on near same numbers is more of a surprise especially considering that M-Sport is much cheaper. M-Sport also has better customer support.

13. Likes: pantealex (4th January 2018),the sniper (4th January 2018),tommeke_B (5th January 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    It’s never too much to praise and thank eWRC guys for their fantastic work (as long as they keep the site free ), but for them or any other people gathering rally data it may not be easy to establish retirements real causes, as those aren’t always reported by the teams or the organizers.

If a driver destroys a suspension (for example hitting a rock or a tree) and retires, how many times that kind of retirement is classified as 'technical' (mechanical faillure) and not as 'accident' (driver mistake)? Otherwise, a driver can go off the road and even roll due to a brake failure and no technical problem is indicated as the accident cause. On a recent CNR rally, former champ Moura got 2 punctures and retired, after a deep corner cut; somehow the retirement cause appears as ‘mechanical’.

That’s why we should take these reliability stats in a light way.
    Last edited by Rally Power; 4th January 2018 at 14:54.
    Rally addict since 1982

15. Likes: dimviii (4th January 2018),Jarek Z (4th January 2018),pantealex (4th January 2018)
    Yes, that is for sure a concern but logically this kind of mistake is from its nature global, i.e. it shall not depend on vehicle type. It means that there is for sure a certain error in the stats but this error shall be statistically same for all cars.

You don't need to go after tenths of percent to see that the cars are basically in three largely different groups. First most reliable one is Fabia and Fiesta. Second much worse is PSA cars and i20 and the third worst one is represented by the only private car Mirage. The differences between the groups are so big that few mistakenly reported retirements don't change anything.

I think that it all corresponds with the generally knows stuff, i.e. Škoda and M-Sport put a lot of effort into R5 because it's very important for them. Hyundai R5 seemed to be always a bit of side-project with lower importance. PSA cars are known for many design flaws which were partially fixed in time but many still remain and finally the Mirage as a private project suffers from the same problems as all other similar ones before.
    Last edited by Mirek; 4th January 2018 at 15:09.

17. Likes: pantealex (4th January 2018),the sniper (4th January 2018)