Hybrid View

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

The Impact of Fate

Been doing a lot of research over the last few months in my spare time over F1 in days gone by, and had a thought about how different the history of F1 would be without the numerous acts of fate we have endured over the 60+ years.

Consider these examples, and potentially how different F1's results would have been:

Jim Clark, 1968 - Died whilst at the peak of his abilities, with Hill winning the title at the end of that year, surely had Clark not died he would have won the 1968 title, and then, judging by car performance, could have won in 1970 and 1972 - he would still only have been mid-late 30's which was normal in those days. Would Jochen Rindt have joined Lotus at all without Clark's death as well? And would Clark have continued with Lotus for his whole career?

Francois Cevert, 1973 - Was matching Stewart at the end of 1973 before his tragic death. In 1974 he would have been team leader - surely notching up more wins and potentially moving on to a Ferrari or McLaren in the coming years with his talent - the knock on effect on which would have displaced drivers such as Regazzoni or Mass for example.

Ronnie Peterson, 1978 - Sadly died at Monza, could have added another win before end of the season and was due to lead McLaren in 1979. How would he have fared there? Immensely talented but his performances were a bit up and down over his career. John Watson and Alain Prost were at McLaren in 1980, would it have been Watson who did not drive for McLaren, or would Prost not get his debut with McLaren?

Stefan Bellof, 1985 - Only two years into his career, I believe I am right in thinking he had a contract for Ferrari for 1986 before his death. Ferrari's 1986 drivers were Stefan Johansson and Michele Alboreto, and the car was not great. However, the 1987 car was better. Would Berger have joined Ferrari in 1987 if Bellof & Alboreto was the line up. It could have been Alboreto was replaced for Berger, instead of Johansson. Bellof looked in the Senna mould, could he have joined Williams or McLaren later?

Robert Kubica, 2011 - A modern one for you. Of course, Robert is thankfully still with us and on the mend. His life is not in danger, but is his career? How would he have performed in the Renault in 2011? Heidfeld would not have a final podium to his name. And going forward, Kubica was rumoured to Ferrari for either 2012 or 2013. Will this happen for him, even if he does return?

I've only scratched the surface really here - what about Peter Collins, Chris Bristow, Lorenzo Bandini, Piers Courage, Jochen Rindt, Ignazio Giunti, Roger Williamson, Tom Pryce, Gilles Villeneuve, Elio de Angelis & of course Ayrton Senna?

And then drivers who have had non-fatal but career-interrupting incidents. Are they ever 100% the same as they were before the crash - for example Niki Lauda, Olivier Panis, Felipe Massa ?

I am struck by how much effect fate can have over a sport like this.
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

2. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    When Walkinshaw took over at Arrows F1, he had kept it at its original location? I have often wondered as the team in Bletchley there had done a remarkable job with very little resources. Arrows F1 wasn't a failed team, it was under financed, so moving to Leafield wasn't such a good idea, as Tom Walkinshaw had envisaged...

What if? The impact of fate. Now sadly, the Arrows F1 team is history.