Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    I dont know how you can compare BTRDA event and club rally on Epynt to Messers Loeb, Ogier, Latvala, Hirvonen etc.
    And there are people on the forum that pay wayyyy more for seeing the top drivers. Of course travelling adds up, but still - go!
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Others may feel that paying those sums for top level rallying is worth it. I don't. I don't earn a lot of money so choose to spend carefully, hence why I look at what I get for my money. Although the top level drivers are spectacularly quick it is, at the end of the day, a handful of cars through 2 stages. This requires me to either get up extremely early (which I'm not good at) or travel up the night before and kip in the car. I also have to pay a lot of money to do this. Add in the fact that it's a Sunday, when the rally could well be all but over and a number of the top drivers will be out (hardly a rare occurence this season), and I'm really not convinced that I want to spend my money on it.

What it all boils down to is 'will I enjoy 2 stages of Rally GB that much more than I enjoy 4 stages on the Wyedean'. The answer, quite simply, is probably not. Simples.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori
    And there are people on the forum that pay wayyyy more for seeing the top drivers. Of course travelling adds up, but still - go!
    I'd rather save my money to do sprints and hillclimbs next season.

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
    What is the point of organasing a special stage with no access to public? Especially if that is Power Stage.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    You have my sympathy Barry.....the Quinton on Epynt was £10 for 2 runs of 150 odd cars....
    I know it's a World Championship, but it's not F1 or football.....£20 is quite a lot for a minority sport.

However the top WRC/ S2000/Juniors guys are really on it......a completely different level - it's the rest who plod along....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    Others may feel that paying those sums for top level rallying is worth it. I don't. I don't earn a lot of money so choose to spend carefully, hence why I look at what I get for my money. Although the top level drivers are spectacularly quick it is, at the end of the day, a handful of cars through 2 stages. This requires me to either get up extremely early (which I'm not good at) or travel up the night before and kip in the car. I also have to pay a lot of money to do this. Add in the fact that it's a Sunday, when the rally could well be all but over and a number of the top drivers will be out (hardly a rare occurence this season), and I'm really not convinced that I want to spend my money on it.

What it all boils down to is 'will I enjoy 2 stages of Rally GB that much more than I enjoy 4 stages on the Wyedean'. The answer, quite simply, is probably not. Simples.

I agree with you totally. The top few (probably 7 on WRGB this year i.e works cars and Petter) will be awesome and on a different planet speed wise, but after that with the exception of a handfull of the SWRC boys it's not much more thrill factor than a BTRDA rally. I'd rather watch Andy Burton go round all day than your Matt Wilsons, Hennings and Raikkonens. Plus, i'm happy to give £10 per car for a BTRDA round because it goes to local charities which keeps the locals happy that the rally is running. I wouldn't pay £10 to watch a BRC round though.......now very boring! I think £10 per person would be a good price for Rally GB, or £30 per car which would give it eco-credentials for limiting CO2 and all that balls!

Anyway, for the last few years i've bought OS maps and planned a route in by either camping or finding a local carpark, and then walking. It's all legal, even if the forests are offically closed (this info can be found on the CRoW website) the public rights of way i.e. Public Footpaths are not affected, and no body has any grounds on which to stop you providing you keep to the footpaths, under the 'Right to Roam Act'. Well we've just been out for a walk in the forest after all

It takes a bit of planning, but if you can be bothered it'll save you alot of money, and I'm sad and love looking at maps anyway. Last year we watched Friday and Saturday's stages and didn't pay a penny, and we were well within our rights to do so too. I'm not sure about the 'Southern' stages though, never tried them as i'm further North.

...and if anyone wants to call me a tight wad, then screw them because the money i'll pay over a year to the Forestry Commision to rally more than covers it!

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I understand you guys have a different viewpoint on what is exspensive. Even for the rally is Australia this year we had to travel and spend a bit. Beats being in a plane for 24 hours!

But at the end of the day it's up to you guys, personally I think the new WRC cars are worth the £20 or whatever the cost is.

The cars are what tempt me, they look great fun. However I can take the £70 fuel and £20 ticket and put that towards entry fees for a hillclimb next year. Given the choice between competing and spectating...well it's a no-brainer isn't it.

Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    Back to Clocaenog or Gt Orme, having seen the stages in Clocaenog and where has been cleared there will be a great atmosphere and at one location almost an amphitheatre effect, should be great in the dark...can you tell i'm excited !! haha

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Yeah, looking forward to Clocaenog - only shame they didn't include Brenig/Alwen and another stage in Clocaenog....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???