Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MotoGP - Sepang

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    confirmed.
    got hit by both bikes, looks like the second one ran over his neck.

United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli. Thoughts with all those around him. I'm stunned.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Awful news. What a terrible time for motorsport.

RIP
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sad day for the sport

Articl e from SuperSport.com
    Marco Simoncelli © Gallo Images

Simoncelli killed in Sepang crash

by Bruce Hepburn 23 October 2011, 11:09

Italian MotoGP racer Marco Simoncelli was killed on the second lap of the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday in a crash involving Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards.
    The 24-year-old Italian, racing for the San Carlo Gresini Honda team, was in fourth place after the first lap of the race at the Sepang International circuit. During that lap, he was involved in a battle with Alvaro Bautista (Rizla Suzuki) who was challenging from behind, with Colin Edwards (Monster Yamaha) and Valentino Rossi (Ducati) close behind.
    At the start of the second lap, Bautista got past Simoncelli in the first corner, but the Italian took the place back again. Moments later, Bautista once again got past, only to have Simoncelli get in front once more.
    Then in Turn 11, with Simoncelli pushing hard and with the bike pulled over onto the kerb on the inside of the right-hander, the front tyre lost grip and the bike fell and bike and rider skated to the left - but then the front tyre gripped again, swerving the bike hard to the right and straight into the path of Edwards and Rossi, neither of whom could avoid the crash.
    Edwards' bike slammed hard into Simoncelli and his bike, ripping off his helmet, while both crashed into the side of Rossi, pushing him off the track and onto the grass.
    Rossi was able to stay on his bike and return slowly to the pits, but Edwards went down before getting up and stumbling away.
    Simoncelli remained prone on the track.
    The race was immediately stopped as he was removed by ambulance to the track's medical facility. With the entire paddock subdued at the seriousness of the accident, organisers abandoned the race, and half an hour later it was announced that Simoncelli had succumbed to his injuries.
    Edwards had suffered a dislocated shoulder, while Rossi, a great friend of Simoncelli, had been uninjured.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Something I think worth mentioning is the emergency response to Simoncelli's crash. Whilst there have been some incidents in the past with questionable emergency responses in MotoGP, there is no doubt in my mind that the accident was dealt with in the most professional manner which gave him the best possible chance of survival. I thought that was worth appraisal, even though Marco did not make it.