Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Memories of Dan Wheldon

We were at the St Pete Grand Prix a few years back when Dan was driving for Target. We had paddock passes on race day and were in Dan's "garage" area but he was surrounded by people wanting his autograph. My son was disappointed that we couldn't get close enough to get Dan's autograph before he had to leave. It was a pretty warm day so we decided to duck into Mahaffey Theater to get out of the sun. We were standing just inside by the entrance and about 5 minutes later in walks Dan Wheldon. He must have noticed the big smile on my son's face because he stopped and talked to him for a couple of minutes. After chatting with my son he said he had to go do an interview but thanked him for coming to the race. We were all so impressed with Dan. My son was only 6 at the time but he still talks about that moment to this day. Needless to say, we will all miss Dan, the racer and the person.
    Let's Go Racing!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [youtube]m_kMXSbiJVY[/youtube]
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That finish of the Indy 500 is going to be the most memorable Wheldon moment for me for sure. So glad he was able to make that his final win before leaving us.

I remember meeting Dan at Watkins Glen back in 2010. He was on a scooter in the paddock area talking to a worker, I suppose it was. Called his name and he rode over and was more than happy to sign an autograph and to take a picture with me. That picture will be up on my Facebook profile pic for a while to come.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is not what I would consider a happy memory, but it's one that has stayed with me. I watched this interview after qualifying and was kind of shocked at how depressed Dan was. Even with so-so equipment, he always has a positive spin on things, but this was as down as I've ever seen him...

[youtube]DBSi29ZC9B0[/youtube]

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think he felt something was going to happen. Maybe that's why he just had a very long victory tour, he tested USF2000, Indy Lights and Star Mazda cars? Maybe this were the things he still wanted to do in his life? This reminds me of Senna and Moore. Senna also didn't feel well a day before the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix and so had Moore trouble during qualifying, one day before his life came to a tragic end.
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I remember back in Atlantics, Dan was racing B Rice and was a great duel in Milwaukee mile on Saturday before Indy race on Sunday. I was thinking that future of Indycar is brite with Mario retiring and two yung guys racing hard was fantastic site. Thanks for the memories Dan. RIP.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    After qualifying on Friday, my Wife and I were hanging out over by the Sam Schmidt trucks talking to a friend of the family who works for B&W. He gave us a quick tour of the garage and trucks. We really wanted to met Dan as he quickly became one of our favorites this year. His commentary really drew my wife into the series. Our friend said that the drivers were packed up so he couldn't do intros, and then a minute later Dan walks up in street clothes with his big ol backpack on. Our friend stepped over and introduced us to him and he lit up with that smile of his and thanked us for coming to qualifying. He said he was excited for the race. He got pulled away before we could get a pic or anything signed, but then a second later another rep came out with his autographs for us. He took the time to sign them even though he was in the middle of something else. My wife was soooo excited to have met him.

He just seemed like a great guy and he was really happy to be there.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    At least he died where he wanted.... On the racetrack...... BUT.... WAY too early..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schumacher180
    At least he died where he wanted.... On the racetrack......
    That is ridiculous. Somehow I don't thinks that is where he wanted to die at all. More likely he would have wanted it to be in his sleep in his own home when he was 90+ years old.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree, but race drivers think a bit different about that... Wasn't it Tony Kanaan saying during an interview that if he could choose a way to go that Dan's way would've been the way? Enfin, this doesn't matter at all, the fact is that we will miss Dan very much and that I feel so terrible that I've never met this guy.