Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm done with IndyCar Ovals

For better or worse NASCAR owns the ovals. I don't really enjoy watching IndyCars running wheel to wheel because the stakes are too high. If a car ever got airborne and cleared the fence and then went into the crowd like at Le Mans in 1955 autoracing would be done. Finished. Over. Everyone complains there aren't enough ovals on the schedule but other than the Indy 500 NO ONE GOES to the damn races so they must not be that important. I grew up watching IndyCars on the ovals but not PACK RACING! It's a time bomb just waiting to quit ticking.
    Let's Go Racing!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No one is going over a fence. See my signature for more.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. No one thought a car could fly into the stands in Le Mans until 1955 either. I was at Indy when Mario was higher than the fence during his "joy ride" in one of Michael's cars. He didn't go into the stands but he was higher than the fence. Now we're just talking about angles, not heights. History is repleat with examples of "that could never happen".
    Let's Go Racing!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your link is interesting. The mathematics behind your analysis may be sound, but does not take into account the physical difference between the machines. The devil is normally in the detail and a superficial analysis such as yours does not represent the actual differences in the nature of accidents involving Indycars and NASCARs.

Indycars don't race as Talladega and Daytona (and Pocono) for a reason. There are huge incidents at Texas, Las Vegas and other high banked ovals in Indycars for a reason too.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Did you see how high Power's car was at one point. It underscores that no matter how hideous that new rear bumper is, it would have prevented a large amount of what happened today. After seeing today's accident, All of the of math and physics hasn't changed what I know...They don't need to clear the fence for a horrible accident. Thankfully todays crowd was pushed high into the stands ant that accident happened opposite the stands. They didn't clear the fence in Atlanta either. I've said for years what most of the drivers have said, they have no business on the 1.5 mile nascar tracks. Hopefully if anything positive comes out of today, they won't ever run on these style tracks again.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Pack racing would make me cringe and yet at the same time it was thrilling to watching drivers race wheel to wheel. To go this far and not suffer the big one (as far as I recall) is a great testament to the drivers.

I'm not sure how Indycar will deal with this in future - perhaps breaking up the pack but I'm sure damn sure as hell that Indycar would not be Indycar without oval racing.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Did you see how high Power's car was at one point. It underscores that no matter how hideous that new rear bumper is, it would have prevented a large amount of what happened today. After seeing today's accident, All of the of math and physics hasn't changed what I know...They don't need to clear the fence for a horrible accident.
    I don't know who it was, but there was a car at the back that got a ludicrous distance off the ground. I like oval racing, but I do not want to see single seaters flying through the air like that. To have four cars taking flight in one accident is insane. Any number of them could've cleared the wall or landed on another car. Power's onboard is terrifying enough without knowing there were other cars taking flight all around him. I'm a huge fan of the series and of ovals, but this feels like the bullet they've been dodging for several years now, and a rethink is needed. Leave the pack racing to the stock cars, I just don't think it has a place in open wheel racing at those sort of speeds.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyCarFan
    For better or worse NASCAR owns the ovals. I don't really enjoy watching IndyCars running wheel to wheel because the stakes are too high. If a car ever got airborne and cleared the fence and then went into the crowd like at Le Mans in 1955 autoracing would be done. Finished. Over. Everyone complains there aren't enough ovals on the schedule but other than the Indy 500 NO ONE GOES to the damn races so they must not be that important. I grew up watching IndyCars on the ovals but not PACK RACING! It's a time bomb just waiting to quit ticking.

You might want to recalculate some of that now

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hornet
    I don't know who it was, but there was a car at the back that got a ludicrous distance off the ground. I like oval racing, but I do not want to see single seaters flying through the air like that. To have four cars taking flight in one accident is insane. Any number of them could've cleared the wall or landed on another car. Power's onboard is terrifying enough without knowing there were other cars taking flight all around him. I'm a huge fan of the series and of ovals, but this feels like the bullet they've been dodging for several years now, and a rethink is needed. Leave the pack racing to the stock cars, I just don't think it has a place in open wheel racing at those sort of speeds.
    That was Power, coming off the apron right after he collided with Bourdais rear wheel I think it was(the boy scouts car). There were so many cars in the race I hadn't even had a chance to see who was driving what colors. He had to be over 20 feet in the air.

I agree, I don't ever want to see an accident like that again.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tragic, but read this and tell me where IndyCar ovals rank..

List of racing drivers who died in racing crashes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

better yet, don't take a week of respect, then tell me that we should never do tire testing on road courses,,,,
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."