Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

1976 - McLaren vs Ferrari

I seem to remember someone posted that the bad blood between the two began in 1976. So what sort of shenanigans went on that year?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    formula 1 crash James Hunt 1976 - YouTube

At the British GP, the two Ferraris had an accident at Paddock Hill Bend which is the first corner of the circuit. Hunt hit Regazzoni and the race was red flagged. Hunt then drove his car up through McLaren rather than the GP circuit to the pits to get the car repaired.

Hunt won the restarted race but Ferrari appealed that because Hunt didn't complete the first lap that he should be disqualified.
    Enter four months of legal disputes by both McLaren and Ferrari eventually had Hunt DQ'd. It was a lost cause though, because Hunt would eventually win the title by a point.

Legends of Motorsport- 1976 British Grand Prix P1 - YouTube
    Legends of Motorsport- 1976 British Grand Prix P2 - YouTube
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    There's more
    In Spain, Hunt's car was disqualified for being something like 2cm too wide "through tyre expansion during the race", giving the race to Lauda. The decision was reversed on appeal. Admittedly Ferrari had nothing to do with the disqualification. But these things lead to legends forming.
    Then at Monza the lap times of the Mclaren team were disallowed because they were found to be using fuel of 101.6 octane when the rules said 101. McLaren's defence was that tfuel of that rating was commercially available in Britain. But this was Italy, Ferrari country. Again, the stuff of legend.
    Then at Suzuka all the drivers were unhappy about conditions. and held a meeting. One story goes that several drivers agreed to start and withdraw after a token couple of laps. Lauda withdrew on lap 3 along with Perkins, Pace and fittipaldi but Hunt didn't and went on to take 3rd place and win the championship.

If there was bad blood between the teams it did not extend to Hunt and Lauda who remained on the best of terms. For exam le, one story says that on the day of the Japanese Grand Prix, Lauda woke at crack of dawn, changed into racing gear and woke Hunt with the words "Today I will win the Championship". He could only do that as he and Hunt were friends as well as rivals.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    But these things lead to legends forming.
    I do wonder how the 'feud' came about.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I do wonder how the 'feud' came about.
    The Yellow Press, of course....
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Then at Monza the lap times of the Mclaren team were disallowed because they were found to be using fuel of 101.6 octane when the rules said 101. McLaren's defence was that tfuel of that rating was commercially available in Britain. But this was Italy, Ferrari country.
    I recall reading that the octane reading taken from the McLaren fuel was within legal limits, but they were put to the back of the grid anyway! Wasn't Watson's Penske penalised as well?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    I seem to remember someone posted that the bad blood between the two began in 1976. So what sort of shenanigans went on that year?
    In the Name of Glory: 1976 the Greatest Ever Sporting Duel: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Rubython: Books
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the movie based on the 1976 season starts filming in February 2012.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

kellie pickler tangled ever after

Really difficult Karen Millen Sale simply to walk your saline, a tiny place away from the drum package using spots of the sparsifolia prolonged, waist-high, planet carrier crater between your very gentle soil,Chanel Bags Sale the particular shoes or boots will fall under the capture by accident. It doesn't matter how tough to delay, absolutely no mothers and fathers desire their kids to determine weakness,Scarpe Hogan we all believe continue with the conclusion. As soon as the event, occasion advisor Qu Jian about the east, next have a alteration by appliance Kate Moss a lot more powerful knowledge of how choose to go Xuan Zang, the hot button is your individual center, and also success has nothing to perform, as well as strength has nothing to accomplish, only with your personal mind of their own anticipation related.

jason varitek masters leaderboard

Xuanzang grown-up karen millen dresses ritual westbound within the 1300 in the past, the solution to the actual Mo Xuan Zang This individual expanded till Chanel Bags Eighty-eight kilometer on foot wilderness, camped, to see the truth for your hunt for Xuanzang yr, at night knowledge Hogan Scarpe Ufficiale and mindset involving personal. As the alteration by appliance Kate Moss simply participant throughout Ningbo, Li Jian, along with his 10-year-old kid, Lee Han-yuan, 88 kilometers by walking within the four-day getaway, experience the lifestyle never experienced the sensation.